Looking for a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antelope113

I have a pro-94 but it does not do digital. I am looking to get the PRO-106 but I am not sure it will work either after reading some of the reviews. I live in York CoPA witch is now using

System Name: York County PA Public Safety
County: 2 counties
System Type: Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated: February 19, 2010, 7:43 pm (Updated General Trunked System Information)

Can I use the PRO-106 to momitor York CO if not what should I look for in a scanner to be to listen to them.
Thanks Dave

sjlamb

In a handheld.... the Pro-106, GRE PSR-500 or Uniden 396XT will all work well on this digital County system.

What did you read that led you to think the Pro-106 would not work on the York system?

Antelope113

this is what I got from Radio shacks reviews.

Beware only Receieves APCO 25 Modulated
By Ronald Harrison rharris4[@] from Syracuse NY on 2/18/2010
Pros:Clear Signal
Cons:Difficult Controls, Difficult To Program
Best Uses:Emergencies
Describe Yourself:Casual/ Recreational
Primary use:personal
Bottom Line:No, I would not recommend this to a friendComments about RadioShack PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner:

If the system you are trying to monitor uses other than APCO 25 digital modulated voice system forget this one

DonS

That "review" would apply to every digital trunking scanner ever made. The only digital voice supported by any of them is P25.

sjlamb

Beware only Receieves APCO 25 Modulated
By Ronald Harrison rharris4[@] from Syracuse NY on 2/18/2010
Pros:Clear Signal
Cons:Difficult Controls, Difficult To Program
Best Uses:Emergencies
Describe Yourself:Casual/ Recreational
Primary use:personal
Bottom Line:No, I would not recommend this to a friendComments about RadioShack PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner:

If the system you are trying to monitor uses other than APCO 25 digital modulated voice system forget this one

That is an opinion from an obviously inexperienced moron off of the RS site. He's clueless and then faults the radio for his own lack of intelligence. You would be much better of reviewing posts from people on this site (there are many, many Pro-106 owners here) who actually have some experience with this equipment.

sjlamb

That "review" would apply to every digital trunking scanner ever made. The only digital voice supported by any of them is P25.

Ya gotta love "reviews" from the Radio Shack site, eh Don?

the line that asks the reviewer to describe themself should be edited to read:

Describe Yourself: Dumb Like Sack of Hammers

Last edited:

Antelope113

Thanks

Radio shack has it on sale right now and was really hopeing it would do the trick. From reading other post in the forums their plenty of people to help if I have problems.

One other question is it worth getting the pc cable and can I download from this site or should I buy there disk.
Dave

DonS

Radio shack has it on sale right now and was really hopeing it would do the trick. From reading other post in the forums their plenty of people to help if I have problems.
EDIT: and if you look here hard enough, you can even find the guy who wrote the scanner's firmware.

One other question is it worth getting the pc cable and can I download from this site or should I buy there disk.

RadioShack also has the programming cable (Catalog #: 20-047) on sale - highly recommended that you get it.

Software: the "big three" are (in reverse alphabetical order):
* Win500
* PSREdit500
* Arc500

I don't know that anyone will recommend buying software at RadioShack.

sjlamb

I think you will be way ahead of the game if you get the cable and subscribe to the RR database. That which you have trouble figuring out for yourself, you will have no problem getting plenty of guidance, advice and instruction in this forum.

I would also recommend that you check out each of the software programs that Don has already mentioned. Most scanner software providers offer free trial periods so you can evaluate each.

Status
Not open for further replies.