• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

looking for a photo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrolocked

Does anyone have any photos of a professional install of a low band whip on a newer (2002 or later) ford explorer?

hydrolocked

I'm looking for the best place to possibly put a ball mount with a 102" whip - to be used for loading with an AH4 for 40 meters and up. Since my explorer has a fairly clean install thus far, i was curious where agencies such as illinois state police punch the holes - assuming that they would have a reason for choosing a particular spot on a vehicle.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I should have said this on HS instead of here, but the only low-band using SUVs I have seen here in NC have been the highway patrol and all of those are the ghey base loaded whips on the front fender, that goes back ten years with the first unmarked explorer I saw.

KC0QNB

I'm looking for the best place to possibly put a ball mount with a 102" whip - to be used for loading with an AH4 for 40 meters and up. Since my explorer has a fairly clean install thus far, i was curious where agencies such as illinois state police punch the holes - assuming that they would have a reason for choosing a particular spot on a vehicle.
I am sure there is a reason, for doing what they do, if you are going to mount a whip go on the left (street) side, keeps you out of trouble with low flying trees. The biggest problem with ball mounts on newer vehicles, is there is no real good thick metal used much any more, the I have seen fatigue cracks in some. The back up washer provided with the mount helps but is not the ideal answer.
How long is the antenna? Maybe a custom bolt through the bumper mount is an option.

hydrolocked

102".

I have a base loaded 27 MHz whip on the front fender, was just hoping for something i could force-feed 100W from 7 MHz up:)

I've seen a number of expeditions, but cant find the photos....

the bumper, unfortunately, is encased in plastic.... I miss the old metal bumpers like my jeep has (sans the rust that my jeep has...)

KC0QNB

Maybe talk to a commercial two-way shop close to you see what they recommend, here is another idea, do you have a trailer hitch receiver? Can you access the frame holes, under the back end? You might be able to bolt some bracketing though the factory frame holes, and mount a heavy wall 12ga-10ga square tube that would end just past the bumper make a plate and mount the ball mount there, just tossing out some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.