• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for a radio I could use for gmrs and as a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm991

Just got my gmrs lic. And would like to kill two birds with one stone.
Do they make a radio I could field program all the gmrs frequencies in and program all my local police and fire and use it as a scanner also.

Would this work
RELM Wireless Corporation

Or this

The Wouxun KG-UVD1P is a compact VHF/UHF handie with 5 watts on VHF and 4 watts on UHF.

Thanks

gm991

the radio you linked would work if police and such were in the range of the radio. the wouxun would be a better choice as to a scanner/gmrs radio

edit: here is the link to the frequencies for police and ems where you live Suffolk County, Massachusetts (MA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference that should help you decide if it would work

thanks for the link.
I do already have a scanner with all my local police and fire.
I read the wouxun is hard to program. ANyone have any info on the unit?

thanks

Last edited:

travisd

thanks for the link.
I do already have a scanner with all my local police and fire.
I read the wouxun is hard to program. ANyone have any info on the unit?

thanks

As mentioned, you'll need to makes sure that the freqs you want to scan are in the receive capability of the radio, which is limited to 136 - 174 MHz & 420 - 520 MHz. Some systems (like here in Carroll County, MD) they have a VHF simulcast of the main Fire dispatch. I can hear the initial call, but not any on-scene activity which is only on the Trunked 800MHz system.

Scanning is not the fastest. It's all dependent on how many channels you're scanning. I've never tried to change what channels are scanned using the front panel, just via the PC software. There is a Priority channel setting, but I've yet to try it. It's more useful for finding which Ham repeater is active since conversations tend to be long. A quick Police or Fire call (those guys are good at keeping it brief!) may be completely missed if you have more than a couple of channels being scanned.

There's also no "close-call" type of function. You can scan based on any supported frequency and step (e.g. start at 144 MHz and scan up in 5.0KHz increments) but unless you get lucky, or the signal is on the air continuously, it's hard to catch it that way. And there's no limit other than the programmed edges of the band, though you can manually reverse direction.

That said, the PC software (in my case, the excellent KG-UV commander) is very simple to use. Plug everything into a grid that looks like a spreadsheet and Write it out to the radio. It's nice being able to save different versions for say, travel out of region.

Front panel programming is not really intuitive, but there's good 3rd party how-to's out there on the basics (programming a Repeater split for instance). Annoyingly, it's not easy to make a small change to a programmed channel (that I've found) if for instance you want to change the bandwidth or CTCSS/DCS code on the fly.

It's a decent little VHF/UHF transceiver that happens to have a scan feature. It's not going to make a scanner junkie happy unless they're moving up from an old crystal controlled Bearcat :) And even then, since it's FM only, you're not going to be getting things that sill run AM, like aircraft.

gm991

As mentioned, you'll need to makes sure that the freqs you want to scan are in the receive capability of the radio, which is limited to 136 - 174 MHz & 420 - 520 MHz. Some systems (like here in Carroll County, MD) they have a VHF simulcast of the main Fire dispatch. I can hear the initial call, but not any on-scene activity which is only on the Trunked 800MHz system.

Scanning is not the fastest. It's all dependent on how many channels you're scanning. I've never tried to change what channels are scanned using the front panel, just via the PC software. There is a Priority channel setting, but I've yet to try it. It's more useful for finding which Ham repeater is active since conversations tend to be long. A quick Police or Fire call (those guys are good at keeping it brief!) may be completely missed if you have more than a couple of channels being scanned.

There's also no "close-call" type of function. You can scan based on any supported frequency and step (e.g. start at 144 MHz and scan up in 5.0KHz increments) but unless you get lucky, or the signal is on the air continuously, it's hard to catch it that way. And there's no limit other than the programmed edges of the band, though you can manually reverse direction.

That said, the PC software (in my case, the excellent KG-UV commander) is very simple to use. Plug everything into a grid that looks like a spreadsheet and Write it out to the radio. It's nice being able to save different versions for say, travel out of region.

Front panel programming is not really intuitive, but there's good 3rd party how-to's out there on the basics (programming a Repeater split for instance). Annoyingly, it's not easy to make a small change to a programmed channel (that I've found) if for instance you want to change the bandwidth or CTCSS/DCS code on the fly.

It's a decent little VHF/UHF transceiver that happens to have a scan feature. It's not going to make a scanner junkie happy unless they're moving up from an old crystal controlled Bearcat :) And even then, since it's FM only, you're not going to be getting things that sill run AM, like aircraft.

thanks for the info, looks like I should keep my scanning for my scanner unless I just want to maybe scan just a couple surrounding town police and fire...:):)

gm991

I found a used one and the guy says it only goes to 400-480 MHz.
Did they make radios Witt the same item number but different freq. limits?
Here is the link to the site.
Two Way Radio KG-UVD1

It's a bummer if it's true because I can get a good deal on it.
But I need it to receive 483.xxx for my local police and fire

Status
Not open for further replies.