Looking for a real aircraft NAV/COM antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean_kd4adv

I am looking for aircraft shops around the state of Virginia that discard old NAV/COM antennas. I have custom made antenna rack on the back of my 07 Dakota using Diamond plate and Aluminum tubing.

I would like to get my hands on an actual NAV/COM antenna used in the VHF aircraft band and install it on the rack. Right now, I'm using a Larsen mag-mount rubber duck antenna with BNC connector.

The scanner I am using right now is a Bearcat BC - 895 XL mobile/base 300 channel analog scanner.

When I am riding down the roads, I can hear air band activity. I just want to enhance it using and actual aircraft antenna.

Tnx :)

Sean, KD4ADV

Grid Square : FM17

HTX 212 2m (still works)
Kenwood TK-230 VHF Landmobile portable
Rexon 2m/440 Portable (no tone encoder/decoder installed)
Pro 51
Pro 92
Pro 97
and
Pro 2026 "Patrolman"
2 Motorola T5700 FRS radios

N0IU

Good luck with trying to find a discarded NAV/COM antenna. If it is discarded, it is usually for a reason! A refurbished Rockwell Collins 137X-1 antenna cost over $5,000.00 so you can see why they don't get discarded too often! Just about any VHF antenna will improve your reception.

prcguy

I've purchased many aircraft antennas on Ebay, some yellow tagged and some brand new, VHF, UHF and even dual band military versions. The most I have ever paid is about $40 and they have all functioned fine. If you don't see one today there will be some next week.
prcguy

Good luck with trying to find a discarded NAV/COM antenna. If it is discarded, it is usually for a reason! A refurbished Rockwell Collins 137X-1 antenna cost over $5,000.00 so you can see why they don't get discarded too often! Just about any VHF antenna will improve your reception.

DPD1

Not to state the obvious, but I assume you realize you might actually be better off with just a regular 1/4 wave antenna for the band. Actual aircraft antennas are often designed with a compromise for both size and aerodynamic properties. Sometimes the radio part takes a hit because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.