Looking for a RS Scanner for Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

renae1

Hey Folks New to this forum my County started using VIPER and I needing a scanner to use which models from Radio Shack can I use to pick up VIPER

richardbritt

Database Admin
Hi, Here is a good list. Radio Shack scanners are good, but Bearcat makes a few models as well. I recommend you get a digital scanner that supports rebanding and this list includes those model numbers.

Category:Rebanding Supported Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

VIPER will eventually be rebanding (basically the freqs will be changing to what older scanners can not receive) and these models will all work now and with the rebanding freqs once that happens.

Welcome to the site

If you have questions there is a VIPER forum. Also see the Catawba County page, there is a link to VIPER at the bottom of the page with the site freqs and talkgroups.

If you have questions, please ask on the VIPER forum and you will get lots of help.

Also, click on the WIKI and browse or do a search. Tons of good info on most of these scanner models and programming shortcuts etc that people have shared on here.

See you

Richard

richardbritt

Database Admin
Also, under North Carolina Forums is a group called Current VIPER Discussion. Good reading and very active. There is at least one firefighter I talk to on there from Hickory.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hey Folks New to this forum my County started using VIPER and I needing a scanner to use which models from Radio Shack can I use to pick up VIPER

Welcome to RR.com! Good to have you join us.
If you are located in Hickory there are a couple of things
you need to know before you get too invested in buying a radio.
The city of Hickory is migrating to a proprietary type of radio system
called "Opensky". Opensky systems cannot be monitored on any scanner.
All is not lost though. Catawba County is using VIPER for a majority of its comms and these comms can be monitored on most digital capable scanners.
A list of current scanners that can monitor VIPER in Catawba County are:
--Uniden BCD396XT, BCD996XT, & HomePatrol HP-1.
--Radio Shack Pro 106, Radio Shack Pro 197, and Radio Shack Pro 18.
--GRE PSR 500, GRE PSR 600, and GRE PSR 800.

There are other discontinued scanners (such as the Radio Shack Pro 96 & Pro 2096)
that can also monitor VIPER in Catawba County. You just have to be careful buying radios on the secondary market

To sum up: Long term unless something drastic happens monitoring City of Hickory comms will be a thing of the past but monitoring Catawba County Comms should be possible into the foreseeable future.

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.