Looking for a scanner, but have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBill1963

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie here and a rookie scanner. I have used my dads old Uniden BC92XLT for the past few years, but am looking to upgrade. I am looking and thinking about the 996. I tried the Radio Shack Pro-163. The guy at the Shack, did me a "favor" and cloned the display program for me. Well, long story short, I had to lockout several channels and it just didn't sound clear compared to the old 92xlt. One of my biggest complaints with the scanner was the inability to turn the volume down low and still have it audible. I like to listen at night time while my wife sleeps, like I do with the 92. With the 163, it seemed that there was no happy medium, either too loud, or unable to be heard. How is the volume control on the 996? What would be the best software to program the unit? Also, I am wondering about the difficulty to program and operate such a high end scanner. Radio Shack said they use Scancat-lite to program their units. I live in upstate NY, near Utica, I am looking for suggestions, comments or recommendations.

Thanks for your help.

vortex360

The 996 volume is ok here. One can set it and view the level on the lcd screen. I like it on level 14.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Yup 996 is a good choice,especially that id o believe in ur area it is digital, and this scanner is capable of it..As for software,any of the software listed on this site if you become a premium member you can use,thats for the 996t, its fairly easy to use even for a rookie scanner...Have fun with the new toy,happy scanning

Highpockets

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie here and a rookie scanner. I have used my dads old Uniden BC92XLT for the past few years, but am looking to upgrade. I am looking and thinking about the 996. I tried the Radio Shack Pro-163. The guy at the Shack, did me a "favor" and cloned the display program for me. Well, long story short, I had to lockout several channels and it just didn't sound clear compared to the old 92xlt. One of my biggest complaints with the scanner was the inability to turn the volume down low and still have it audible. I like to listen at night time while my wife sleeps, like I do with the 92. With the 163, it seemed that there was no happy medium, either too loud, or unable to be heard. How is the volume control on the 996? What would be the best software to program the unit? Also, I am wondering about the difficulty to program and operate such a high end scanner. Radio Shack said they use Scancat-lite to program their units. I live in upstate NY, near Utica, I am looking for suggestions, comments or recommendations.

Thanks for your help.

I would read up on the new scanners here in the wiki section, Radio Shack, Gre and Uniden have digital scanners, each have different features, and each have excellent software. It may be one feature that will help you make up your mind, something that will fit in with the area where you live, the learning curve is a little higher, but if you take your time, read, and ask for help here, you'll pick it up pretty quick. What ever unit you decide on, I'm sure you'll be scanning in no time. Pretty neat hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.