Looking for a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acefighter

Good morning,

I am interested in getting a scanner. (I know, insert groans here, I apologize.) I used to listen to the Pearland PD/FD when they were broadcast on this site, and I would like to be able to listen again, along with a couple other local departments. However, I know less than nothing about scanners. I'm hesitant to just go buy one, because I remember a period of about 3 weeks in which the feed on this site was down because the departments changed something regarding their frequencies, and the scanner that was broadcasting no longer picked them up.

I did some searching to try and find some information before I posted, and I see the TXWARN P25 referred to frequently. However, like I said, I know nothing about scanners, so I'm not sure what that is. I'm looking to get a a fairly inexpensive scanner if possible, and it does not need to be a mobile one. Once I get it working, I'm interested in possibly broadcasting on the site.

I apologize if I'm asking a stupid or annoying question, but I am a total n00b to this subject. Any information y'all could provide, whether it's a specific scanner recommendation or just giving me information about what the scanner would need so I can listen to Pearland/Friendswood/League City frequencies, would be appreciated.

starwtc

Looking at the data base for your area and your knowledge of scanners I would say that the preprogrammed Uniden Home Patrol would be your best choice. Check with Scanner Master to view this and other programmed radios. The P25 TXwarn is a digital system so
a digital scanner is required. Good luck.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Pearland Monitoring

Good morning,

I am interested in getting a scanner. (I know, insert groans here, I apologize.) I used to listen to the Pearland PD/FD when they were broadcast on this site, and I would like to be able to listen again, along with a couple other local departments. However, I know less than nothing about scanners. I'm hesitant to just go buy one, because I remember a period of about 3 weeks in which the feed on this site was down because the departments changed something regarding their frequencies, and the scanner that was broadcasting no longer picked them up.

I did some searching to try and find some information before I posted, and I see the TXWARN P25 referred to frequently. However, like I said, I know nothing about scanners, so I'm not sure what that is. I'm looking to get a a fairly inexpensive scanner if possible, and it does not need to be a mobile one. Once I get it working, I'm interested in possibly broadcasting on the site.

I apologize if I'm asking a stupid or annoying question, but I am a total n00b to this subject. Any information y'all could provide, whether it's a specific scanner recommendation or just giving me information about what the scanner would need so I can listen to Pearland/Friendswood/League City frequencies, would be appreciated.

The information provide to you by the other reader was true regarding Pearland being on TxWarn MOT; however, Pearland has another talk group (channel) on TxWarn P25. You won't be able to hear this talk group since it is Pearland Narcotics. It is fully encrypted.

In my opinion, it is a matter of time before the agencies on TxWarn MOT change to digital or move to TxWarn P25.

Hence, I would recommend purchasing a scanner which will last through these probable changes. At present, there are three Phase II scanners on the market with more expected to surface during 2014 from the Whistler brand. At present, Uniden offers two Phase II radios, BCD536HP - BCD436HP. GRE made a phase II scanner which was called the PSR 800. The latter will likely be offered through Whistler, but you may get lucky & fine one on sale.

Since I've monitored the Houston Metroplex, this is a very robust scanning environment.

Since you live in a saturated area with many Simulcast systems, I would buy one of these newer radios since they seem to perform better with Simulcast systems.

Houston started using Phase II P25 radios. Some of their talk groups are TDMA. Houston designed their system to allow some of the TDMA talk groups to be monitored by digital scanners that don't work on Phase II systems. But, the radios these radios don't work as well on Simulcast systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.