Looking for a trucking analog scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys I am starting here local and wondering if auntie has a stair analog scanner for under 70 or less it do t have to be rebanding ready, I am in slidell and. Now since I have. Little guy now, I am looking for cheap, post here or pm me if you have a price, thanks in advance

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
RICCOM, check out the website I list below for a good

price for a PRO-107. I bought mine from them; fast shipping and paid only 55 bucks total. The company name is "digiCirlce":

digiCircle - Cheap Used Cell Phone, Used GPS, Used iPOD, Used Camera, Used Camcorder, Used Computer, and Oher Electronics.

They drop the price every day till the item is sold, (only about a buck a day or so).
You may have to get an antenna for it, and if you need the software, I or others here can sent a copy to you, (it's free). The cable is a different story though, at RS it's about 40 some dollars. Check 'em and see what you think.

KF6NFW

Premium Subscriber
the cables are cheap and very easy to make if you have simple soldering skills and able to follow schematic or verbal directions from someone who can direct you through the simple task.

I have found a plethora of analog double and triple conversion trunking scanners, seems everyone wants to get rid of them for digital. Having spent a bit of time in your neck of the woods (spent lots of time in Slidell and Covington) I know you will need an external antenna to hear anything outside of town really.

Also take note that there are system changes coming to your area as well as the rest of the state. After past fiascoes, it is even a greater push, but lack of funding for some. It will come to you though. Everyone will be on a narrow digi mode soon though!

I have sevral monitoring systems from Rack mounts to handhelds, and find that the old analog gets used more often when traveling and here at home in Oregon, as opposed to South Dakota where everything is Digital.(never made since to me population of a couple thousand gets all new systems, and depts that have hundred of Thousands are still analog!

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I do have a non trucking scanner, and I hate hearing animal control and dpw in the mix of pd and cd traffic, I do have a external antenna, that is a 154 whip that gets a lot, I am just looking to upgrade and get rid of the 137 rat shack scanner, and its getting old lol, so I am gonna trash it soon, so hope the link works, I also looking to part with a laptop as well, needs parts and some work

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
the cables are cheap and very easy to make if you have simple soldering skills and able to follow schematic or verbal directions from someone who can direct you through the simple task.

I have found a plethora of analog double and triple conversion trunking scanners, seems everyone wants to get rid of them for digital. Having spent a bit of time in your neck of the woods (spent lots of time in Slidell and Covington) I know you will need an external antenna to hear anything outside of town really.

Also take note that there are system changes coming to your area as well as the rest of the state. After past fiascoes, it is even a greater push, but lack of funding for some. It will come to you though. Everyone will be on a narrow digi mode soon though!

I have sevral monitoring systems from Rack mounts to handhelds, and find that the old analog gets used more often when traveling and here at home in Oregon, as opposed to South Dakota where everything is Digital.(never made since to me population of a couple thousand gets all new systems, and depts that have hundred of Thousands are still analog!

Being I lived in klamath falls for a good number of years I know that thinking is not popular in Oregon, but also, I know that klamath county fire just a few years for repeaters, for the south county , and trucking is not needed but I do know in slidell, is not planning to go p25 anytime soon for full-time traffic, so analog will do for me, and knowing that a lot of nola is still on edacs I am missing that aspect of them, but it is what it is, also likes the link, but I am looking more base radio then handheld , so I will keep on eBay and Craigs list and on here

KF6NFW

Premium Subscriber
I ment trunking not thinking

No you had it correct the first time! We just moved here about 3 weeks ago to Grants Pass. We travel alot so having radio with us makes all the difference, looking forward to a single standard again, will make it much easier and cheaper to keep up once all are on 12.5KHz bandwidth and operating in digital modes.

One question I do have is what is the purpose of the 154 inch antenna? Is it made for the application? If not, you may find that mostly tuned antennas will do better then just getting an antenna in the air. Scanners are real sensitive so it isnt a big issue for most, but again, knowing your area, i would suggest trying to get antennas resonate and up, you may find that some of the scratchy noisy signal s will clear up while others may be to distant to clean up anything.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I like the 154 antenna cause the fire department is on that band, nola is strong so the 800mhz signal is not an issue, also I am more concerned of the adjoining parishs, and I am a mile from the slidell trs tower and st tammany so 800/700 not an issue here

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
The 154 is the 154 mhz antenna not 154 inch antenna lol my wife would kill me if I had that up lol

ka5lqj

154 INCHES?? That would be a quarter wave for what? 16 meters? I would imagine some CB'er would have it in the middle of the roof of their "pick-em-up truck" along with their 1,000 watt lien-yar, trying to be the #1 World-wide, Famous, what-ever, LOL!

If you want to find the TRUE length of a ¼ wave at 154 MHz you take the frequency and divide 2808 by it. The results are measured in inches. As long as you're 1/8th inch off, your pretty OK.

Joyeaux Noël et Bon Année du Luzianne <--Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Louisiana in Cajun French, LOL!

Don/KA5LQJ

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Don
I have a small 18 inch (est on the hight on the whip) on my truck already for that band, i am looking for a scanner thats cheap, and i can get thats used, and no one needs anymore, i find them on ebay, but i like to do a face to face deal, reason being its more fair, and a handshake is always a good deal maker and sealer, but i dont need a 11 meter antenna, heck whos uses 11 meters any more?

ka5lqj

Pro-95

Hi Ric, All,

What I would look for is an old R$ Pro-95. They do a great job is listening
and the audio quality from the speaker is good. I understand about an eyeball QSO goes as far as the sale. Wished I had an extra one, I'd send
it to the little guy for Christmas, LOL! You might check out www.qrz.com
in the For Sale forum. Sometimes you can find a bargin. Be sure you get
the appropiate programming cable. It works great with Don Starr's Win'95.

My next scanner will be a Uniden BCD-996XT, when I can afford it, LOL!
After then, I'm gonna build an amplifier for 80 thru 10 meters, including the
WARC bands.

Well, I've been up since early yesterday morning. Went to bed at 9pm an
slept about and hour, then back up. I'm starting to get sleepy again.
Good Nite.

GOD Bless,
Warmest regard,
"Don"/KA5LQJ
http://www.qrz.com/

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PRO-95 can't be rebanded; but scanners like the PRO-163 or 164 can. best regards...Mike

ka5lqj

I'm &quot;Cornfused&quot;, LOL!

Hi Rick, Mike, All,

Yep, Mike, your right. I got cornfused and only saw the analog part and not the digital 700mhz part. I need better glasses than these reading glasses from Wal-Mart. I only paid twenty dollars for them, not the $450. that Wal-Mart was gonna charge me in their optical dept. :mad:

I've got some analog 800 mhz scanners and they work quite well for now on the Caddo 9-1-1 851 thru 853 mhz reband.

I'm not sure how I would go about rebanding the Pro 163, as evidenced by my not being able to see from this last post. :lol: Guess I'd have to take it to someone to have it done, if it involved taking a chip out and replacing it.

I've had to scrap the spreadsheet/database because of some area changes and I can't confirm them. I'm starting back over with just the states of Louisiana & Texas. A lot of Arkansas is on ARWIN (800 mhz) and none of the Advanced Wx Net lives close enuff to hear them on 800, including me. I've also dropped the states of OK and MS because they're
justs to far away to be heard on UHF. I may go back and publish their VHF low-band and high-band frequencies, justs to see if anyone can hear them. :wink:

What am I doing up at this hour? Well, I dunno. I went to bed about 8:30 pm and slept until 10:30, then woke up and now I can't sleep. Uggggh!

Well I think I'll go watch a movie on the DVR.

GOD BLESS,
Warmest Regard,

Brother Don/KA5LQJ

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Just to be clear. 700 Mhz or digital has nothing to do with rebanding. The rebanding issue is completely 800 MHz and Motorola TRS specific. And the Pro-95 cannot be fixed to operate on a Motorola rebanded system.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rebanding the 163 is quite easy, actually. As long as you have the most recent firmware - and the link for that is in the rebanding article - you would need to put in some custom tables. Once again, our wiki comes to the rescue...

PSR-300/400 Software and USB Support - The RadioReference Wiki

These procedures would only be needed if you were doing the programming manually. Most all the software (the stuff that's worth anything, anyway) will set up the custom tables for you, assuming that the rebanded flag has been set in the database (you will see a message to this effect if it has). That, of course, assumes you have a subscription to download data....

best regards...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just to be clear. 700 Mhz or digital has nothing to do with rebanding. The rebanding issue is completely 800 MHz and Motorola TRS specific. And the Pro-95 cannot be fixed to operate on a Motorola rebanded system.

Not quite true...EDACS systems are involved in rebanding, too, but they don't need a custom table or any firmware fixes. All those need is a bit of reprogramming.

And if all of the frequencies in the trunk system have a '5' in the fourth position of the decimal part of the frequency, there is a chance that the radio *might* follow the system with a little reprogramming. The issue comes up when one or more of the trunked frequencies have a '0' in that fourth position. When that happens, the radio would land on a channel for which it doesn't have a corresponding frequency in it's bandplan.

This has been adequately discussed in the Oregon and Utah forums, amongst others...it would be more correct to say that the PRO-95 does not have the ability to accept firmware fixes that would support rebanding...best regards...Mike

Last edited:

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
hey guys thanks for the info sorry took so long but i got a pro 90 trunking scanner and its fine for the slidell area so i did get one, thanks a million guys take care and 73's

ka5lqj

From the &quot;Radio Ranch&quot;....

Hey Ric,
CONGRATS on getting the R$ PRO-90. I had one for years but a friend of mine, kept asking me if I could hear the Bossier City Police. I have a
bunch of scanners, both hand-held and base/mobile, so I "loaned" it to him. Sadly, he had a massive heart attack and passed. I never asked
his wife for the scanner back. I knew how much Ed loved keeping up with the Police, LOL! It's a great scanner and when your city goes to
700 LAWIN, you can use it to listen to the amateur radio repeaters.

Then, it could be the case that Caddo 9-1-1 took, they re-configured their system 45 mHz lower. So, it started at 851 to 853 mHz and no scrambling. Bossier City, Bossier Sherrif and Bossier City Marshals all went 700 and on different repeaters, so they don't ever "talk" to each other. Jealousy, I guess.

However, don't let it interfere with playing with your son. :D You have them for just a few short years and then they're graduating college and
start a family of their own. That's ok, too, 'cause then you get to play GrandPa and can spoil the fool out of them. :lol:

GOD BLESS,

Buck/KA5LQJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.