BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Looking for advice - Scanner got zapped by static discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I recommend sending it in to Uniden. :(

I agree fully. If there is not physical damage to the switch noticed almost immediately by eye, it should go back or try and use it like it is.
Board damage would have still required one heck of a static discharge if some traces arced together.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's a 6-layer board. Look in the unpainted area in the upper left corner. Each trace layer is numbered, although mirror-imaged in the photo. The backwards 6 is on top--uppermost layer.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I see that reversed 6. Even if you had images of each layer, a repair would not be likely unless you were really lucky and able to isolate damage and reroute the trace above the board level with physical wires. That's something I'd never attempt today with my failing eyesight.

jbmoss

have you tried to see if a computer remote interface may see if it works that could eliminate if it is a bad cpu or a trace
Other than the menu button being inoperative, the scanner works fine. All other buttons respond normally. I'm able to download and upload to/from Sentinel. A bad cpu would prevent all that, I'm sure.

jbmoss

Thanks again for all the discussion and advice and especially the photos. I'm not really averse to opening a case and fixing what's broken. I've dived into my laptop recently to replace the hard drive with an ssd for example. But I have the service manual and that was relatively easy. Based on the very revealing photos and the possibility that it may not even be the switch that's at fault, I'm convinced that the best solution is to have Uniden figure it out. This isn't like the old days before multi-layer circuit boards and ICs, when testing and replacing discrete components like tubes (I just revealed my age) and transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc. was a breeze. Here's hoping Uniden is up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.