Looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok heres the thing I am planning to take my HAM test next month if all goes well I am looking to broadcast on 144MHz and 440MHz to start. I'm thinking a dual band may be 144 440 but what one I am very over whelmed at the number of radios out there. Any help on what brands (Icom Motarola) and such would be a help also if you have a model you find works well and is a good starter set. Any and all advice will be in some way helpful.

Thanks
Crimson

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I like the Yaesu brand,I have the FT-250R 2 meter band HT with the Diamond SRH77CA

For a 144/440 band HT radio I would recommend the Yaesu FT-60R and get the Diamond SRH77CA HT antenna.

Last edited:

KD0OTK

N4KVE

You first have to decide if you want a portable, or a mobile radio. The portable will work while you walk around, & will work so so in the car unless you are near a repeater. The mobile radio will work just fine in the car, but you can't walk around using it. Usually, I tell people if they can only afford 1 radio to start with the portable, as it can work in the house, car, & wherever you are, but a mobile is a pain to move around. GARY N4KVE

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I have the Yaesu FT-60R and love it!. However my first radio was a Vertes VX-150 off of ebay, and was only a VHF unit, but still works great. I also have the Alinco DJ-5V, but I haven't used it in some time. The FT-60R is an easy radio to program and use on the fly. I take it everywhere I go. If you do get a mobile, you can also use it in the house if you mount it so you can easily remove and install it.

Best wishes on your test!.

If you do get a mobile, you can also use it in the house if you mount it so you can easily remove and install it.

Best wishes on your test!.

this is what I am planning I have all the really cool quick disconnects for power (I run RC cars) I have a power supply (13.8v 15amp) from being on CB for the last way more years then I want to admit. I have been going back and forth on dual band or just 2 meter to start. If I go 2m this is the radio I'm looking at
YAESU FT 1900R VHF Mobile 55 W Two Way Radio FT1900R FT1900 R 1900

And have no clue as to what I may get for a dual band been looking at Kenwood and Icom but there crazy high priced and have way more knobs and buttons then I need.

W2PMX

I use a Yaesu Vx-5R (it's discontinued, but there's a current version) for portable use, and a 30 watt amplifier in the car for mobile use. The best of both worlds. And with a hefty 12 volt power supply I can run 30 watts in the house too. (It takes a minute to disconnect the amplifier and bring it into the house.)

LtDoc

There are a lot of dual band radios on the market, both new and used. I would suggest selecting one that has 'PL' tone capability to be able to access most repeaters. After that, it's more a matter of what you think you may have interest in or may need with local use.
I wouldn't select a hand-held radio as your first radio, they are very limiting. They are short range radios by design, and that' what you will have. A mobile radio does require a power source and antenna, but in general will have more capability as far as range goes. I'd also suggest reading everything you can find about all the radios you can. That'll give you an idea of what's available, what's fairly common for options, and so on. Then you get to balance all that with the state of your bank account! The "latest and greatest" is nice to have, but it's certainly not absolutely necessary. There are gobs of 'older' radios that really do work just fine. Another source of information is any local group or club. See if there are any in your area, and go to a meeting or two. No telling what, or who you might run onto.
I know it won't seem like it, but there's really no super big hurry for getting a radio. Do that shopping around and take your time at it. It really does pay off later. (No one could make me believe it either, but it's still true. :))
- 'Doc

reedeb

Anyone think anything about Radio shack 2 meter for a first radio ??????

The Shack got outta Ham a while back. However IF you find a HTX212 in good shape and it works get it I have one [bought new in 1997] and is still working great. If yoou cannot find one I'd go with a newer model. In my photos the first one the top radio [green light] is the 212.

Last edited:
I have to say I am very lucky as I live about 45 mins away from a Ham Radio Outlet store so I can put eyes and hands on a bunch of stuff New and Used. It is a strange thing to be the youngest person in the store (I'm 35).

P.S. reedeb I can put my hands on one for around $130-140

LtDoc

Personally, I think $130 - 140 is a bit 'steep' for that radio. That's more a matter of it being an older radio than anything, it would be a PITA to maintain/fix. Not that it doesn't perform adequately, just not the 'best' value in the world.
- 'Doc

reedeb

Yes it's a late 90's radio I say $75 to 100 is a better price. See if they'll go 100 on it and you'll have a fine rig ALSO make sure ti has a manual with it [as a first radio it will seem a tad complicated]

It seems I am running in to 2 kinds of people them who are nice have a want to help and them who are money grubbing crack heads. I have narrowed my search to Yaesu or Icom. I am looking at the ICOM IC2100H or similar or the Yaesu FT-1900R not sure of the exact model but 55w adjustable down to 5w seems good there small witch means the wife will stay off my azz about them and I can still work repeaters around me. And from my fun spot (Mack park Salem MA) I can work long range at full power.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I have been a Yaesu man since I got an FT-411E handheld as my first ham rig. I loved that little radio. I wish I would have never sold it.

As far as the FT-1900R goes, I have one of those as well and love it. It is a keeper. I also have the FT-7900, which I like a LOT better, so don't overlook that one. It may be a little more expensive, but it's worth it to have the UHF band.

W2NJS

The Icom 2100 is a good radio, but their 208 dualbander probably represents a better value. I've owned three 2100s, which I've resold, and currently three 208s, one at home, one in the car, and one in the country. You mentioned Motorola, but their current ham-capable stuff is priced 'way above the products of the ham manufacturers like Icom, Kenwood, Alinco, and Yaesu.

thank you all

Now to move to antennas and see if I can find one that has gain better then 2.5Db

P.S. Anyone know anything about ADI radios???

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
My advice is to buy a cell phone. It's one thing to listen for entertainment, but getting caught up in actually being a ham geek is a good way to drive off women in your life, and throw a lot of money down the drain that you could put into useful things. Before you waste the time and money, take a good listen to your local ham repeater. Listen to the inane conversations these people have. Ask yourself, "is this what I want to be"? Ham radio stopped serving a useful purpose when cell phones became common. Sure, autopatch was really cool in 1984, and it was darn useful. But today ham radio is really just a silly hobby. If it floats your boat, and you really want to be one of these people rag-chewing about their aches, pains, medications, and radio gear, and having to identify with their silly call sign constantly, go for it. Keep in mind, despite the geeky nature of ham radio, many in the hobby actually BELIEVE they are very important, and very wise, and are somewhat snobby and enjoy looking down on the "newbies". If you are just planning on buying a puxing and talking here or there that's one thing, but I would say not to get carried away with that geeky stuff.

I realize that many on here love it, but it is a dying hobby that no longer serves any purpose, and it repels women for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.