Looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
My advice is to buy a cell phone.
Ham radio stopped serving a useful purpose when cell phones became common.

The only thing that collasped sooner than the WTC South Tower on 9/11 was the cell phone system in Manhatten. Within hours, dozens of hams had stations set up providing RELIABLE communications. Ditto hurricane Katrina. Hams have been providing emergency communications for decades.

I realize that many on here love it, but it is a dying hobby

More than 700,000 Hams in the USA and growing at the rate of 16,000 to 20,000 per year.

that no longer serves any purpose.

Do you REALLY think that the FCC would let hams have BILLIONS, Yes, BILLIONS of dollars worth of RF spectrum if we didn't serve any purpose??

Bob
N2OAM

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My advice is to buy a cell phone. It's one thing to listen for entertainment, but getting caught up in actually being a ham geek is a good way to drive off women in your life, and throw a lot of money down the drain that you could put into useful things. Before you waste the time and money, take a good listen to your local ham repeater. Listen to the inane conversations these people have. Ask yourself, "is this what I want to be"? Ham radio stopped serving a useful purpose when cell phones became common. Sure, autopatch was really cool in 1984, and it was darn useful. But today ham radio is really just a silly hobby. If it floats your boat, and you really want to be one of these people rag-chewing about their aches, pains, medications, and radio gear, and having to identify with their silly call sign constantly, go for it. Keep in mind, despite the geeky nature of ham radio, many in the hobby actually BELIEVE they are very important, and very wise, and are somewhat snobby and enjoy looking down on the "newbies". If you are just planning on buying a puxing and talking here or there that's one thing, but I would say not to get carried away with that geeky stuff.

I realize that many on here love it, but it is a dying hobby that no longer serves any purpose, and it repels women for the most part.

You are so clueless, that you evidently are speaking from your experiences with ham radio and have little to none at that. If you did, then you might realize that this is a past time and brotherhood to many of us GEEKS! We're pretty cool geeks, being that this hobby has helped save lives and property for decades and will be around after you are not!
Oh, and I have a woman who's sitting here LAUGHING at you, lol!
SO who's the geek now, arizona? :twisted:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.