• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for an antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trlydon88

Hi All!

Im going to be getting my first Ham Radio for reception reasons. I will not be transmitting, just getting to receive a frequency. I need an antenna with a range of 25 miles. The radio has a SO-239 Connector, and im looking at one base antenna at the time, but im worried I will exceed 25 miles. If I exceed 25 miles, I will start to pick up Brattleboro VT Base. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Radio: 2016 VV-898E *Plus* Backpackable Portable Dual Band Car Mobile Radio VHF/UHF 25W | eBay

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That is a strange criteria for antenna. And probably wrong. You get the best antenna you can afford that will give you the best reception (and eventually transmission) possible given the terrain, possible mounting height, etc. If you don't want to receive a particular station, you get a RADIO with good selectivity--the ability to filter out stations on frequencies other than the one you wish to hear.

Specifying a range for a particular antenna while it is sitting in the box is impossible--there are too many variables. Maximum communication range between two radios depends on many variables, most importantly the transmit power and receiver selectivity of each radio, each antenna's design, tuning, height above ground level, the length and type of coax used, atmospheric conditions, and the terrain between the antennas.

Going from mountaintop to mountaintop with a clear line of sight, it is possible to go 25 miles with a pair of walkie-talkies with "rubber duck" antennas running less than 1 watt of TX power. But in an urban setting with lots of tall buildings, maximum range may be less than a mile between vehicles with mounted antennas and 50-watt radios.

Before anyone can recommend anything meaningful to you, you'll need to give more info about what you're doing and where you're doing it. If you aren't transmitting, there's no reason to buy the radio in your link; you could accomplish pretty much the same thing with a Baofeng UV-5R at a small fraction of the cost and weight.

trlydon88

Okay, I am going to be monitoring our local bus company. Im in Keene, NH. If I get too much reception, I will pick up Brattleboro VT Base. But, we have drivers on the NH/VT border that needs to be picked up... I'm looking at this current antenna, but am worried it will pick up too much reception. (Pick up Brattleboro Base.) VHF 144-174 MHz BASE STATION ANTENNA | eBay

The radio will stay in the house at all times for monitoring purposes. I hope this info helped.

I like the idea of a handheld, but would prefer a base station.

teufler

if the bus groups you monitor run a sub tone, no problem. One tone will blot out the other. This would solve the problem. If all you are doing is to receive, use a scanner attenuator, this will effectively reduce you signal receive range. Th antenna you showed a picture of looks good, though to reduce you range, a simple quarter wave, 18" spike would let you receive. Since you are just receiving, try an indoor antenna, or keep you antenna lower than optimum. You could go with the antenna you sent a picture of mount it lower .VHF i sort of linme of site. Keeping th antenna lower will effectively reduce your receive range also.

trlydon88

if the bus groups you monitor run a sub tone, no problem. One tone will blot out the other. This would solve the problem. If all you are doing is to receive, use a scanner attenuator, this will effectively reduce you signal receive range. Th antenna you showed a picture of looks good, though to reduce you range, a simple quarter wave, 18" spike would let you receive. Since you are just receiving, try an indoor antenna, or keep you antenna lower than optimum. You could go with the antenna you sent a picture of mount it lower .VHF i sort of linme of site. Keeping th antenna lower will effectively reduce your receive range also.

Okay, thank you very much! this helps a lot!

kmi8dy

forget the radio in your link. you don't need a transiever to do what you say your going to do. buy a uniden bc355n for about half the money or so. $ 90.00 put in the frequency you want to hear, sit back and listen. most if not all antennas are made to pull in any and all transmissions it " hears ". what is the frequency you want to hear ?

trlydon88

forget the radio in your link. you don't need a transiever to do what you say your going to do. buy a uniden bc355n for about half the money or so. $ 90.00 put in the frequency you want to hear, sit back and listen. most if not all antennas are made to pull in any and all transmissions it " hears ". what is the frequency you want to hear ?

Frequency is First Student, 155.295.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Okay, I am going to be monitoring our local bus company. Im in Keene, NH. If I get too much reception, I will pick up Brattleboro VT Base.

Is Brattleboro running on the exact same frequency and PL/CTCSS tone?

trlydon88

Is Brattleboro running on the exact same frequency and PL/CTCSS tone?

I know they have the same frequency (155.295) but unsure on PL/CTCSS tone.. Im assuming so, because every once and a great while our dispatcher will ask Brattleboro Base to relay for her. (Ex: Swanzey Base to Brattleboro Base can you relay for my bus 7 please?)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Find out about the tone. If you're talking about separate dispatch centers, it's probably different. The drivers need a way to hear only their dispatcher...

Failing that, you can always adjust your squelch so that you hear only the nearer dispatch center.

But don't deliberately buy a sub-par antenna to limit your range. You may find yourself needing to hear the other dispatch center someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.