• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for an HT with specific featurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pico1180

This seems to me like a really noob question, but I'm pulling my hair out here. Every time I think I'm getting close t finding what I want, I realize it isn't. Every time I DO find a radio that can do everything I want, I'm looking at a $5k Motorola and that is NOT what I want.

I am looking for an HT that with the following features.

Mandatory:
136 - 174, AND 400 - 520 freqs

MIL-STD or IP54 for rain, humidity, dust and shock

CTCSS Encoding/Decoding

Has at least 3 memory banks that can be toggled between with a physical switch/knob

Doesn't require specialized training to program

Desirable:

P25

5 or more memory banks

$300 or less price point

Keep dreaming, because we all do? Or keep looking, its their, you just haven't found it yet?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
It's not out there. Best bet is to get a used P25 radio and have someone program it for you.

pico1180

kenwood comes pretty close, but they either do VHF or UHF, but not both.

I can do with out the P25. But the multi zones with VHF AND UHF is really the big thing.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
kenwood comes pretty close, but they either do VHF or UHF, but not both.

I can do with out the P25. But the multi zones with VHF AND UHF is really the big thing.

This seems to me like a really noob question, but I'm pulling my hair out here. Every time I think I'm getting close t finding what I want, I realize it isn't. Every time I DO find a radio that can do everything I want, I'm looking at a $5k Motorola and that is NOT what I want.

Mandatory:

CTCSS Encoding/Decoding

Has at least 3 memory banks that can be toggled between with a physical switch/knob

Desirable:

P25

5 or more memory banks

$300 or less price point

Keep dreaming, because we all do? Or keep looking, its their, you just haven't found it yet?

Currently the only companies that produce a multi-band portable radio with the features you desire are Motorola and Harris. Neither of which you will get for $300. You may be able to get a APX-7000 in VHF/UHF-1, but you will spend upwards of $2500 to get it.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

Mandatory:

CTCSS Encoding/Decoding

Desirable:

P25

5 or more memory banks

$300 or less price point

Are you wanting to transmit on those freq ranges, or listen to those, with transmitting on ham freqs?

Good luck on that price point.

Sent via Tapatalk

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
why not just get a BCD396xt? they run around $300 now. ive seen them for $275. that's if you don't have the need to Tx.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The 400-520 spec is not available in anything but the cheap Chinese radios. The better radios break that into two sections,

pico1180

I would need to transmit in the 136-174 range, I would need to transmit in the (specifically) 407-416 range, and I would need to transmit in the 462-467 range.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would need to transmit in the 136-174 range, I would need to transmit in the (specifically) 407-416 range, and I would need to transmit in the 462-467 range.

P25 is going to be the killer for you.

If you remove that from your list of requirements, it opens up the plethora of cheap Chinese radios, although I'm not sure I'd trust any of their claims about IP54, and finding the A/B/C zone switch isn't going to happen etc.

The reason you keep coming up with $5000 Motorola's in your search is because that is how much a quality radio with all these features cost. You will not find a new radio with all these features for $300. Your budget is not realistic based on your requirements.

Used, and APX series radio might be down closer to $2000, but "Doesn't require specialized training to program" isn't going to apply here. While "specialized training" isn't required for all of them, these are not hobby/amateur grade radios. The number of features and options make them complicated. The interaction of the features make it not something easy for a newcomer to tackle.

So, you either need to change your requirements or change your budget. As it stands right now, yours are not realistic.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

This frequency range raises some questions.

You don't show in your profile where you are located, so its hard to figure out exactly why you need to transmit on this much spectrum.

Here in the USA, a lot of that spectrum is for federal government use. If you are an employee of the federal government, then your agency should be issuing you a radio.

I'd also be curious exactly what licenses you have that give you authorization to transmit in these frequencies.
The ranges you are looking for are not exactly compatible with any "normal" FCC license. Like I said above, some of these frequency ranges are federal, and that means NTIA level stuff.

462-467 suggests you are looking at GMRS, and that would require Part 95 certified radio in addition to your listed requirements.

Maybe if you can clarify -exactly- what YOU are licensed for and what you exact usage is, we can make some suitable suggestions for a solution. Looking at your requirements suggests a hobbyist looking for a cheap solution to a very complex problem. Happy to assist in any way I can, but more accurate information is needed.

pico1180

This frequency range raises some questions.

You don't show in your profile where you are located, so its hard to figure out exactly why you need to transmit on this much spectrum.

Here in the USA, a lot of that spectrum is for federal government use. If you are an employee of the federal government, then your agency should be issuing you a radio.

I'd also be curious exactly what licenses you have that give you authorization to transmit in these frequencies.
The ranges you are looking for are not exactly compatible with any "normal" FCC license. Like I said above, some of these frequency ranges are federal, and that means NTIA level stuff.

462-467 suggests you are looking at GMRS, and that would require Part 95 certified radio in addition to your listed requirements.

Maybe if you can clarify -exactly- what YOU are licensed for and what you exact usage is, we can make some suitable suggestions for a solution. Looking at your requirements suggests a hobbyist looking for a cheap solution to a very complex problem. Happy to assist in any way I can, but more accurate information is needed.

I knew this would come up sooner or later....

Suffice to say, situation dictating, I can transmit on whatever frequencies I have a need to.

The 136-174 is CDF/CalFire. The 407-416 are my agencies frequencies. And you nailed it with the GMRS.

The amount of radios that we use is mind boggling, and disappointing to be honest.

Our disaster preparedness section has GMRS setups for "community outreach".

Our Hazardous Incident Respond Team uses a mix of business band which i don't know about, and GMRS radios.

In our section we have a Motorola contract that address our 407-416 needs and NOTHING more. Anything out side of that is outside the scope of the contract. There is a small chance I could push for a contract ratification, but the odds of that would be long.

If I present a $5000 radio for purchase, they would look at me like I had ***** on my face. Not to mention, I wouldn't need one, but more like 3 to 5. If I came to them with a "modestly priced" radio with promises of infrequence unification, I would get a lot further.

But lets be real. This is the government we are talking about. It is much easier to take the three radios they give me and be happy then to try and change the system.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Ok you said the magic word HAZMAT ALL RADIOS USED IN HAZMAT SHALL BE INTRINSICALLY SAFE using anything else in that environment you are risking you and your teams life with a chance of public loss of life. I have been in training class with Federal Response Teams and this topic is always at the top.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
None of that applies if you simply need to talk to the hazmat people, as opposed to being a member of their team.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are several HTs that would meet most of your requirements within your price range, if you're willing to give up on a physical bank switch. What you're absolutely NOT going to get under any circumstances is P25 capability in that price range.

The Baofeng GT-3WP covers the frequency range you need, but does not have a physical bank switch or P25. But it's reasonably waterproof (I've taken mine kayaking) and under $50.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZU6402/

$203.04 for 5 radios and a programming cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.