Looking for an omni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

I've got a RS 20-176, 3 element omni, works OK but nothing terrific. I live in a northwest suburb of Chicago and I don't listen to too much below 100mhz. Cost is not a big deal and will probably be somewhere around 30-40 feet off the ground. Suggestions for a full coverage omni? I know, with a full coverage omni gain is minimal and there's always a trade-off but would greatly appreciate any input.

conve36

Do you mainly monitor one band? If so, I would recommend you look for an antenna for the specific band you monitor and then keep the 20-176 for the other bands. That antenna is a great antenna, as long as you use good coax. I once bought that antenna and didnt know better connecting a 50-foot cable of RG-58 from radio shack... I thought the antenna was horrible, but it was actually the coax. Really, really bad loss in RG-58 in that length. For scanning, I use RG-6 from a past satellite installation that was done on my house... 75-100 feet of quad shield works great. For transmitting, that may be different story...

If you only want one antenna, you should look for discone type antenna's. I have heard good things about Diamond brand discones. Although I have been happy with the four 20-176 antenna's on my roof that I modified to what bands I want to use them with.

YouTube - Radio Shack Groundplane VHF/UHF antenna project

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
i havge always used the icom AH-7000 some will say its the same as the diamond disone but i own 6 of the icom discones(three on my houses roof and three on the roof of my vacation home in far northwestern illinois) and i swear by them never had a antenna work as good as they do that wasnt a tuned antenna. and what the others said is true half of the antenna game is your coax cable if you use good low loss coax for your run it will definetly outperform the rg 58 that is usually supplied with or sold for cheaper prices by antenna companies and scanner stores

Status
Not open for further replies.