Looking for antenna for Uniden BCD996P2 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

David1953

Premium Subscriber
I Listen to aircraft freq.s mainly and with this new scanner probably Police and Fire. I am looking for suggestions for a outside-inside antenna ground plane type, at least in my day that was what were used to be called. Also I would like to attempt to listen to Faa Ft.Worth Center. According to Live ATC since I live with in 5 miles of the facility I should be able to hear the controllers but so far have not been able to on any system I have had in the past. I live in Euless Texas right next to DFW airport where I work for the airport and getting to retire from.
One other item if I purchased a plug in antenna what would be recommended that would receive better than what comes with the scanner. Have not received it yet, I just ordered.

Thank you for any suggestions

David1953

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The scanner model is irrelevant. What matters is the actual frequencies you want to hear. If you want to hear public safety in addition to aircraft, your best bet is a discone antenna like the Tram 1410 instead of a 14-wave ground plane. A discone will work on a wide range of frequencies, like 100-900MHz, while a ground plane will only work well on a fairly narrow frequency range. A discone will receive the 800MHz, UHF, and VHF bands, but a ground plane will only work well on one of those.

David1953

Premium Subscriber
The scanner model is irrelevant. What matters is the actual frequencies you want to hear. If you want to hear public safety in addition to aircraft, your best bet is a discone antenna like the Tram 1410 instead of a 14-wave ground plane. A discone will work on a wide range of frequencies, like 100-900MHz, while a ground plane will only work well on a fairly narrow frequency range. A discone will receive the 800MHz, UHF, and VHF bands, but a ground plane will only work well on one of those.
Thank you for the direction, I will put that on myu order list. I have been reading on that type and my only question would be will it receive inside as well as outside. I figured that outside would be the best and planning to use 3 10 foot pole sections to mount.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.