Looking for BCT-15 opinoins

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rayjk110

Hello. As my birthday is arriving, I have decided to purchase a new scanner for myself, and the BCT-15 sure does look nice....I have the option of either the BCT-15 or a RS Pro-2055...which would you guys recommend? I have owned neither of the 2 and am clueless as to which one you think is "better".

If it leans to the BCT-15 side (which sure looks like a cool scanner), who would be the best source to order from? I do see alot of refrences to ScannerMaster.com, but haven't really ever done on-line scanner shopping.

Thanks for any help and comments.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The PRO-2055, *if* it will be supported by Radio Shack for rebanding, will need to be returned to a service center, to have the logic and display board replaced. If you look at the threads in the Radio Shack forum, some of the LCD displays have died out of the box, or at a random period of time during use. Reports of some being un-repairable at the service center.

As for the BCT15, it is able to be flash updated for firmware and listed as re-banding supported by Uniden. At least two reports of intermod have been reported when used on an outdoor antenna in the government band (162 range) and pager interference, but I have not had the problem.

The BCT15 has many features including dynamic memory. If you can program a DVD recorder or VCR, you should be able to program the BCT15 memory and alpha tags.

See the Wiki's here PRO-2055: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-2055
BCT15: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCT15

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I love my BCT15 except the display is redish orange which is ok inside but in the car, is very hard to read. Either way, it's a great scanner.

bonus1331

I really enjoy the BCT-15. I use it as a base unit so I don't have any opinion on the GPS functions.
However, the 15 has two functions that RS models don't that I utilize constantly-Close Call Do Not Disturb(no more annoying 2 second interruptions), and Temporary Lockouts.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have a pair of BC15's that I use mostly for Fire Tone Out, replacing a couple 30 year old Plectrons. For the price (about $225 each) they are pretty great. Since I use 996's for the local digital systems, this works out well.

If you don't need digital, you would do well with the BC15.

I got mine from ScannerMaster (www.scannermaster.com), as I did my other radios.

Mike445

I have both the 2055 and BCT15. I just picked up the BCT15 yesterday from Radio Hobby Stop in Dayton Ohio. Can't beat their price of $209. I have to say I like the BCT15 better than the PRO2055 and this is coming from a Radio Shack scanner guy!!! I have always owned Radio Shack scanners and love them to death. Its just that for an analog scanner the BCT 15 kicks the PRO2055's ass. The features such as TEMPORARY lockout and the dynamic memory pretty much make it a surperior radio. It took me about half an hour to become familiar with the radio because I have enver operated a Uniden before but I like the way its laid out. Everything is accessed with the MENU button and the knob. It is so easy. The BEARTRACKER feature is nice too. I didn't even program the scanner yet. I just arrived in Alabama and have used the preprogrammed Police, Highway Patrol, and BearTracker frequencies for each state I passed through and got lots of action. When I get home I will hit the USAD software and program the scanner with other frequencies and systems I want. I recommend the BCT 15 over the PRO 2055 hands down. Best scanner I have used. A 996 won't be far behind.
Mike :)

aar9sm

Opinion

I have two of the BCT15's they are outstanding for me in the 800 trunking area, both of mine suffer from intermod though ,in the vhf/uhf ranges on an outside antenna,
the features in this rig are fantastic with ease of operation looks feel etc.
My only complant is the (162)weather channel intermod i get when scanning the fedral 163-174 band.

Mike

KK5FM

I really like my BCT-15. It has all of the features of the 996 except for the digital and an insane number of channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.