looking for best antenna for mobile unit for my truck and my hand held

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brentta82

i just bought a baofeng uv-5r vhf/uhf dual band transceiver i would like to know what is the best antenna for the buck to use on my hand held and to mount on my truck that i can screw in to my hand held. im new to this. right now i do not have my ham license so i just been listening but will have my license shortly. any help would be appreciated

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
I started with the same radio. I got a Tram Browning 1180 NMO mount and use it on a mag mount. I have had good luck with the antenna. I know some will say stay away from mag mounts and use the NMO hole mount. I am still using the mag mount so I can switch it from my car to my wife's van. Right now I have an Alinco dual band mobile and have no problem with the antenna running the rig on 50 watts. You can go to eHam.net and read the reviews on antennas to give you an idea for a good antenna. Good luck on getting your ticket and welcome to the hobby

Wes
KD8VQH

milkman21218

I agree that the Tram Browning 1180 NMO mount and use it on a mag mount is a very nice low cost antenna. There are better antennas out there. But this the best bang for the buck.

Where do you live? ie; What kind of terrain? Lots of repeaters around?

I too started with an HT many many years ago. I chose to hard mount the antenna to the vehicles I had at the time. "L" bracket in the trunk groove on the sedan, and in the roof of the pickup.

I've used several different brands and models, some better than others. That Tram gets decent reviews, and I know several hams using it, all of them happy with it. It's got a heafty wind load and deserves a good mount. The grounding provided by a permanent mount will improve the antenna performance. Somewhere in RR is a post from a fellow who went from magmount to NMO permanent, and solved noise problems as well as got improved coverage to his desired repeater.

I took a license class with a group of about 15 others. I was one of two who permanent mounted from the beginning. Of the 6 of us who stayed in touch, all but one had vehicle damage from mag mounts within a year. It varied from paint damage, to a dent created when the magmount got lose and bounced around before being dragged along next to the vehicle. Mount and antenna destroyed.

Welcome to the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.