Looking for BEST weatherproof connection-to-coax wrap

TrainsOfThought

Land, waters, sky...an entire universe to monitor!
Premium Subscriber
I start roof mounting antenna(s) this spring and am looking for recommendation of the latest and BEST water/weatherseal to wrap around coax connection-to-antenna. Last time I did this was the 90's and Radio Shack supply so I have lots to catch up and newest technology.

Thanks everyone.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Use an antenna with an N connector. If you don't have that give Scotch 33+ tape a go and add some coax seal tape over that. There's also Scotch 88 and 700. You can take a look at their temperature chart and make a more informed decision for your location use case.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Use an antenna with an N connector. If you don't have that give Scotch 33+ tape a go and add some coax seal tape over that. There's also Scotch 88 and 700. You can take a look at their temperature chart and make a more informed decision for your location use case.
The N connector alone should not be relied upon to weatherproof the connection.

Get some 3M Temflex Rubber Splicing Tape 2155, which is not very expensive, and wrap the connection with that first. Preferably two passes of an overlapping wrap, stretching the tape as you apply it. That will bond to itself and provide a very good seal without leaving behind any adhesive should you need to cut it off at a later time. Finish it off with two passes of overlapping Super 33+ or Super 88 tape. Together they will provide a truly weatherproof seal that will last for years.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have always used coax- seal but as has been said here I always wrapped the connection first with at least electrical tape then applied coax seal and molded it nice and tight.

The reason that you wrap with electrical tape first is otherwise if you ever want to undo the connection, you've got a mess on your hands but if you use the electrical tape with a small piece hanging out, it's very simple to remove the coax seal by just removing the electrical tape.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber

Get some 3M Temflex Rubber Splicing Tape 2155, which is not very expensive, and wrap the connection with that first. Preferably two passes of an overlapping wrap, stretching the tape as you apply it. That will bond to itself and provide a very good seal without leaving behind any adhesive should you need to cut it off at a later time. Finish it off with two passes of overlapping Super 33+ or Super 88 tape. Together they will provide a truly weatherproof seal that will last for years.
I agree. Plus, thank you for reminding me about the 2155. I forgot I still have plenty.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

sgnlsekr

Premium Subscriber

This ^^^. The silicone self-amalgamating tape should always be your first choice. It's a bit more difficult to apply than simple electrical tape because the tape is stretched as it's wrapped in an overlapping fashion. It will only adhere to itself - not the connector, cable, or anything else, so that when you remove it 5-10 years down the road, it pops right off. The overwrap of vinyl tape is mandatory for UV protection

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It will only adhere to itself - not the connector, cable, or anything else, so that when you remove it 5-10 years down the road, it pops right off.

I must be unlucky, I've never found that to be the case. We usually either wrap the connectors with tape before putting the self amalgamating stuff on, or we just cut the whole mess off and put on new connectors.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's different flavors of the self-bonding tapes. Some leave a terrible mess, while others like the 3M Temflex Rubber Splicing Tape 2155 do have to be cut off once it bonds to itself and forms a single mass, but it otherwise comes off cleanly without leaving any sticky/gummy residue.

merlin

All the years I did outdoor/tower connectors, I would first pack the connectors with DOW # 4 compound, wrap a couple layers
of 3M tape then the likes of super 88. not one rework in 50 years.
The last several connectors, I skipped the super xx and trying that flexseal spray.
4 years now, and 100% integrity with connectors.

sgnlsekr

Premium Subscriber
The last several connectors, I skipped the super xx and trying that flexseal spray.
4 years now, and 100% integrity with connectors.
Does FlexSeal come off or is it a glue-like substance?