284.250 AM solos?
237.800 AM ->>nothing heard today

mikeh

thank you for the help

thank you for the help i
i have some friends for posting this
i have some friends your have never hread the Buke angels
i thing they will injoy the
i will be also look for the other air freqs tomarrow.

mike h

ridgescan

Looks like their standard setup as in years past:

275.350 AM Diamond
305.500 AM Bert and admin
284.250 AM solos?
237.800 AM ->>nothing heard today

Check the RR Wiki on what they been using this year.

Blue Angels 2008 - The RadioReference Wiki
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Blue_Angels_2008
Just wanted to jump in here and thank you guys for the info-these frequencies worked very well today for the San Francisco show! I thoroughly enjoyed hearing those heroes bounce off each other on the radios as they created that spectacular show!
What a trip to hear the lead guy in his nasely United pilot voice say-"smoke on...slow roll...ok holllllllllllllllld holllllllllllllllllllllld right right holllllllllllllllllllldahhhhhh"
amazing:)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please be sure to add what you hear to the wiki. Log in with your RR userid and password, and just follow the format on the article. Next year, when this question comes up again (and it will), there will be a ready made list of logs that can be used to summarize usage. Of course next year there's no guarantee that the same freqs will be used, but you can bet some will.

73 Mike

Going down tomorrow. I have all the demo freq's that I can decipher from the MT guide and reports here programmed in. Anybody have any additional reports from today (Saturday)? Any confirmed airboss/showboss and discrete freq's? Tks in advance.

Qwerty7

SF Blue Angels Show Boss Freq

I can confirm the Show Boss Freq today was 132.750 AM.
Fat Albert,as usual, was 305.500. Diamond & Solos were as listed in the WIKI as well.
I caught a lot of action on the Bay with Coast Guard, SF Police, Oakland PD--a host of agencies--even a Federal Surveillance Operation going on somewhere. Marine Ch 14 is Bay Traffic which is good listening
on any day of the week. Tomorrow the Parade of Ships---I will be watching from the Coastal Golf Course
adjacent to the the Cliff House. Bring Binoculars to get a closer look of the variety of Coast Guard vessels etc on the Bay. Just a little more puuulll...

Enjoy and don't forget extra batteries !

mm

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I heard the following frequencies today (Sunday 10/12) watching the fleet week airshow from a boat out in the bay. You can't beat being on a boat, nearly directly below show center, listening to the Blue Angels on your scanner. It was amazing. :)

455.65 Mhz (FM - CSQ) - Airshow Announcer

132.75 - Air Boss

126.40 - Fleet Week Airshow Discreet
(Used by multiple performers, including the father-son Sukhoi/F-16 pilots and Sean D Tucker)

123.15 - F-16 Viper Demo

The Patriots (L-39s):
127.30 - Primary (Show center?)

272.10 - The Canadian Snowbirds

US Navy Blue Angels:
284.25 - Show Box
275.35 - Diamond
237.80 - Solos
305.50 - Fat Albert (Also used by Blue Angels (solos being graded by Mo?) during performance)
346.50 - Start Up/Taxi at SFO

Today was kind of a bad day it seemed like. All the pilots were having trouble with the 25 knot winds, and I heard the female air boss ("Donna?") chew out at least one person for straying over the crowd during their aerobatic routine.

The #7 Canadian Snowbirds pilot experienced violent engine vibration described as being felt under and between his feet half way through their routine, and had to bug out of the formation and return to SFO. They exited show center in formation to the north over Angel Island and Marin, he rolled out, they made sure he was okay, and then returned to finish the second half of the show missing one airplane. That's rough to have that happen right after they lost one of their pilots last week.

Then Fat Albert (the Blue Angel's C-130 transport) had to abandon their routine a few minutes after they started it, and asked "Mo" to coordinate an ambulance to meet them at SFO for a medical emergency involving one of the crew. I haven't heard anything on the news about this, so I really hope they're all okay.

It was unusual to see this many unforeseen problems hit the fleet week airshow all at once like that. It didn't bother me in the slightest and I still thought it was a great show, but being a pilot myself I really felt for those guys since they spend so much time practicing the same routine they're aiming for as close to perfection as possible.

Anyway, enjoy the aforementioned frequencies for next year. :)

Regards,

Inigo

ridgescan

I heard the following frequencies today (Sunday 10/12) watching the fleet week airshow from a boat out in the bay. You can't beat being on a boat, nearly directly below show center, listening to the Blue Angels on your scanner. It was amazing. :)

455.65 Mhz (FM - CSQ) - Airshow Announcer

132.75 - Air Boss

126.40 - Fleet Week Airshow Discreet
(Used by multiple performers, including the father-son Sukhoi/F-16 pilots and Sean D Tucker)

123.15 - F-16 Viper Demo

The Patriots (L-39s):

US Navy Blue Angels:
284.25 - Show Box
275.35 - Diamond
237.80 - Solos
305.50 - Fat Albert (Also used by Blue Angels (solos being graded by Mo?) during performance)

Today was kind of a bad day it seemed like. All the pilots were having trouble with the 25 knot winds, and I heard the female air boss ("Donna?") chew out at least one person for straying over the crowd during their aerobatic routine.

The #7 Canadian Snowbirds pilot experienced violent engine vibration described as being felt under and between his feet half way through their routine, and had to bug out of the formation and return to SFO. They exited show center in formation to the north over Angel Island and Marin, he rolled out, they made sure he was okay, and then returned to finish the second half of the show missing one airplane. That's rough to have that happen right after they lost one of their pilots last week.

Then Fat Albert (the Blue Angel's C-130 transport) had to abandon their routine a few minutes after they started it, and asked "Mo" to coordinate an ambulance to meet them at SFO for a medical emergency involving one of the crew. I haven't heard anything on the news about this, so I really hope they're all okay.

It was unusual to see this many unforeseen problems hit the fleet week airshow all at once like that. It didn't bother me in the slightest and I still thought it was a great show, but being a pilot myself I really felt for those guys since they spend so much time practicing the same routine they're aiming for as close to perfection as possible.

Anyway, enjoy the aforementioned frequencies for next year. :)

Regards,

Inigo
hhey thanks for your info too-I heard that call from Fat Albert too-the caller said "we have a 'personal injury' on board"whatever that meant, I hope it wasnt bad.
On their final round they all 6 formed a delta and flew straight over my house as they headed back to pass thru the Bay one last time..brought tears to my eyes:)

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
The Patriots (L-39s):

US Navy Blue Angels:
284.25 - Show Box
275.35 - Diamond
237.80 - Solos

Awesome report, thanks for sharing. My only additions:

242.6 Snowbirds (referred as Push #13)
-used during Saturday's orientation flight by the solos, while rest of team was on 272.1

I'll add the Marine Channels:
156.700 USCG Traffic Announcements (Ch. 14) (heard box closure and other broadcasts)
157.075 PATCOM (Patrol Commander / Ch. 81A)

I heard all of the other frequencies except for 125.65. When did that come active? When they transited the airspace, or when they were just out of the box during the performance?

I can also confirm the Blue Angels frequencies, except for the 346.50. I was monitoring from Treasure Island and couldn't hear it from where I was.

Where were you monitoring from that you heard all of this stuff? I've been at the Maritime Academy, and get good reception, but have never heard the run-up frequency. As an aside, I have heard it from other shows where the Blues stage closer to the performance box.

Eng74

Was at the 49ers game on Sunday. they had a fly over of two F-18. got to talk with the pilots after the game when they came out by our post game tailgate looking for some adult beverages! Talked with the forward air controller another pilot who was in the stadium to give them the go he still had his radio I had scanner and had had a nice talk about what can and can't be picked up.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks! :)

125.65 was a left over freq I remember being used during the Fleet Week a couple of years ago with the Red Bull Air Race, and as another discreet a little more recently. I heard some brief comms between the Patriots on it while they were outside the show box, but not enroute to or from the airport as far as I could tell.

We were on a boat anchored on the south side of Angel Island (I still haven't seen what the island now looks like since yesterday, I can't believe that whole area is probably burned since I saw it such a short time ago :( ). Once the Blue Angels were about to start we headed into the middle of the bay just north of Alcatraz (and the closed area). As Fat Albert was doing their routine, I heard some very scratchy comms on 346.50 that barely broke the squelch, but was identifiable as the Blue Angels running pre-departure checklists. I guess I must have been getting the perfect line of sight around Candlestick and Hunters Point, through the tall buildings downtown, past Alcatraz to sea level at Angel Island. Lucky shot! Minutes after I heard Fat Albert pull out and request the ambulance, and about 5-10 minutes after the delta formation became visible climbing off the 28s through the gap over the ocean, and back behind Mt Tam before they started the show. By the time they made their opening pass we were in the middle of the bay, and their shadow came right up to meet them on Mt Livermore on Angel Island! They were LOW! The waves got REALLY big in the bay from the winds and the passing container ships, so once the Blue Angels finished we were out of there!

Glad I could help, this was probably the most fun I've had listening to Fleet Week, probably because I came so prepared with possible frequencies for each team. Thanks Monitoring Times/Bayscan/Radioreference! :)

-Inigo

Status
Not open for further replies.