Looking for Bus and School Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC8KI

Hi, I am a Junior at Chippewa High School in Doylestown, Ohio. I have been trying to find frequencies that the buses and janitors use so I can monitor them with my Wouxun KG-UVD1P which I normally use for amateur use but also can receives from 136-174 and from 350-470 Mhz. I looked up Chippewa Local School's call sign for business band, its WPQE797 but its listed as expired. The Village of Doylestown also has a call sign, WPPW616, but that's the only other entity in Doylestown with an FCC license. I have not been able to receive anything, even when I know that someone is transmitting, and the only thing I know about it is that they all use motorola radios. Could someone tell me where I can find the actual frequencies I can monitor to hear the buses talking? Or would I not be able to hear them using the radio that I have? Is it possible that they are trunked or something? Or using a different mode such as P25 or WFM? Sorry for the long post, but I am fairly new to monitoring. Thanks for your help!

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Most likely on a Commercial system and they dont own it. The provider has the license. Thats why there old one is expired. Do you have a clue what band there in? antenna size on buses will clue ya in....

AC8KI

Re

Yeah I'd say the antennas are about 10-ish inches long. I beleive they are business band, close to 2 meters and 150Mhz maybe? I'm an Amateur Extra ham operator by the way.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Holy cow -- considering where Doylestown is, they could be on just about any business band trunked system in Medina, Stark, or Summit Co let alone Wayne Co.

Me thinketh it's going to be difficult to find them unless you have a scanner [preferably one with close call] and know when they are talking. Being schools, they likely do most of their talking from 6 am - 4 pm (buses, inside comms, etc).

Mike

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
ahhhhhhhhh 10 inches.......if you can get a pic of one of the antennas cant hurt....theres a lot of different models out there in that range depends on if center loaded......or unity gain...

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I think your best bet to find these frequencies would be to take a freq counter with you on site and see if one of the guys that has a radio will key it up for you to gate the frequencies. Some of the newer scanners will also allow you to do this, simply by setting the squelch high and setting the scanner to decode PL&DPL. But a frequency counter works faster than holding the button down on the radio and scanning the bands. They may also be using FRS/GMRS/MURS or the 464.550/464.5250mhz generic frequencies, providing it's a UHF system they are using. The buss's should be easy to get, all you need to do is watch for a driver key their radio up and activate your freq counter, they can be found fairly cheap online.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Yeah, but that's just a new license for the same old repeater on the expired license. Presumably the OP has already listened on there. Maybe not.

Mike

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Yeah, but that's just a new license for the same old repeater on the expired license. Presumably the OP has already listened on there. Maybe not.

Mike

Obviously the pending license is for converting to narrow band emission. I'm not presuming the OP has listened there, merely found an expired license for that callsign. It appears to me at least they plan on using that repeater.

CVPI4Ever

I think your best bet to find these frequencies would be to take a freq counter with you on site and see if one of the guys that has a radio will key it up for you to gate the frequencies. Some of the newer scanners will also allow you to do this, simply by setting the squelch high and setting the scanner to decode PL&DPL. But a frequency counter works faster than holding the button down on the radio and scanning the bands. They may also be using FRS/GMRS/MURS or the 464.550/464.5250mhz generic frequencies, providing it's a UHF system they are using. The buss's should be easy to get, all you need to do is watch for a driver key their radio up and activate your freq counter, they can be found fairly cheap online.

I dont think you should take anything like that with you to school. You are asking for it to be confiscated. I can see the panic it would cause given the idiocy of school admins.

CVPI4Ever

I understand you were trying to help but I can just see some teachers/admins reaction to something that doesnt look like a cell phone.

I would just sit in the parking lot and try to capture the freq(s) from the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.