• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for cheap or open source two tone paging options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run an event medical standby company, and we recently acquired several Motorola Minitor V pagers for use at large events where our staff are spread out over several different medical posts/ roving around the event.

Previously when we received a request for medical response at an event, we would just transmit over the radio with the information and hope that the staff were in a place where they could hear the transmission (which wasn't always possible at particularly loud events).

However now with the pagers, we'd like the ability to tone out multiple different pagers on the same frequency, using the line out on a computer to a radio with VOX enabled. Does anyone know of any software (preferably cheap or open source) that is capable of generating multiple different two tone frequencies like described above?

Thanks in advance.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Although you are looking for a software solution, there are makers of inexpensive tone encoders such as Zetron and Midian . Some of this equipment finds its way to eBay. You do need to make sure that your tone frequency plan is available in your chosen encoder.

Also if your pagers are programmed for long tone B you can page them all with single tone. Though that may be annoying if you reach out beyond your area of operations and activate pagers used by staff who are not assigned to your event.

Here is software found on a quick Google search,

ComTekk Tone Generator Software

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks to you both, I had already found ComTekk Tone Generator earlier when I was doing my own Google searching, and I downloaded their free trial version to try it out, but I couldn't get the program to run properly (or at all) on the computer we plan on using for dispatching, even though it says "Windows 10 compatible". So it made me reluctant to purchase the full version.

If anyone is good with software troubleshooting maybe you can help me figure it out?

cmjonesinc

A quick and dirty way is to use audacity to make your tone files. Then make a super simple html page with buttons to play the appropriate tone file. I made one in visual basic once that worked even better and wasn't very difficult to make. Or as was also mentioned CommTekk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have an old Android app, Ted Tones, which does what you want.

Some radios can be programmed to send tones, with certain key presses.

Sent using Tapatalk

a417

This is easily done by getting a mobile radio w/ the ability to 2 tone sel call. We did the exact same thing with a VHF CDM mobile for years at town events, fireworks, standbys...no computers required. Our chiefs even had their portables enabled to be able to do the same thing.

Adding a computer to a simple task just adds more moving parts.

The mobile command post dispatcher gets the call, pushes button on radio..waits for tone to send, keys mic...boom done.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
As @a417 stated...easiest way is to use a mobile radio with the ability to select call. Most later model Motorola radios are capable of this for example. Another thing you can do is use and external encoder fed into the line level inputs of a mobile radio. My personal favorite way (if needing to integrate two or more radios) is to use a simple tone remote console. Many GAI-TRONICS, Telex and Motorola, IDA and CPI consoles are capable of handling preprogrammed tones and can easily be picked up on the used market for $100 or less and tone remote adapters can be found used for similar prices.

a417

We're currently using Motorola HT750s (yes I know, we're working on finding replacements)

There is absolutely no reason to do that, just get a single HT1250 (or >) or a CDM1250 (or >) and then you can still use the HT750s as field units, and set them up for selective calling via QCII tones. This is what we did. The base station (CDM) or the command staff (1250) can then alert the units via quick call, and they can talk right back on the 750.

Status
Not open for further replies.