R75 Looking for DC cable for R75 Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTScannerNut

I just picked up a used IC-R75 off Ebay which should arrive next week. The unit comes with the Icom AC power supply which I understand is not very good. I’d like use my Alinco power supply, but it seems impossible to find a cable with the right plug. From my research, it looks like the plug dimensions are 6.3mm x 3.00mm. I’d rather not cut the cable off the AC power supply. Does anyone know of a source for pre-made cable and plug? Thanks.

MTScannerNut

That's where I purchased mine...runs from my Astron linear power supply to the Icom R75 perfectly.

73's

Bruce

I was concerned because the plug size listed from West Mountain Radio is 6.5mm x 3mm. But from various online posts I've seen the correct plug size for the R75 is supposedly 6.3mm x 3mm. Could that be a typo from West Mountain Radio? Or does the .2mm difference not matter? Is the OD of the plug you received 6.5mm or 6.3mm? Thanks.

Last edited:

Kfred

The size difference is negligible, within the margin of error.

That said I bought generic 3-pin Molex connectors from RadioShack back in the day and made my own.

These should work: Molex Connector Lot, 4 Matched Sets, (3-Circuits) w/18-24 AWG .062" Pins, Mounting Ears (: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
I think those would work on older Icom radios. I cut the ac power supply cord in two and put a two prong automotive plug on each end so i can use ac or dc cables. just make sure polarity is correct .

N9JIG

Sheriff
I think those would work on older Icom radios. I cut the ac power supply cord in two and put a two prong automotive plug on each end so i can use ac or dc cables. just make sure polarity is correct .
Yeah, I misread the original post, I didn't catch where he was talking of the AC supply. on the R75, I had R71 on the brain as I was just then dealing with one...

MTScannerNut

So I received my R75 receiver complete with original power supply and manuals. I was surprised to see in the power supply manual that the DC plug size is listed as 6.5mm x 3.0mm. All the posts I found on this site and others stated that the size of the plug was 6.3mm x 3.0mm. Based on that I ordered one of those Radio Shack "adaptaplugs" size Q which is 6.3mm OD so that I could make my own harness.

Now I'm wondering if that small .2mm size different could cause problems? Has anyone used one of the Radio Shack adaptaplugs on the R75 successfully?

moon8360

Premium Subscriber
Replying to old post for future reference. The Radio Shack adaptaplug size "Q" does fit the R75. That's what I use and it works fine.

dkf435

I just picked up a used IC-R75 off Ebay which should arrive next week. The unit comes with the Icom AC power supply which I understand is not very good. I’d like use my Alinco power supply, but it seems impossible to find a cable with the right plug. From my research, it looks like the plug dimensions are 6.3mm x 3.00mm. I’d rather not cut the cable off the AC power supply. Does anyone know of a source for pre-made cable and plug? Thanks.

dkf435

Some of the heavy duty power cords that fit the old 12vdc television sets are the same size. Always pick them up when I see them at goodwill

Status
Not open for further replies.