Looking for desktop scanner recommendations (to replace a Uniden BCD436hp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobilman44

Good day,
I've had a Uniden BCD436HP set up in the house (attached to an attic antenna) and it has worked as advertised. But, I'm finding I just don't use it very much anymore, mainly due to the need of batteries and the smaller information screen. So I'm looking to get a new unit, one intended for the desktop that doesn't need batteries, has a decent sized screen (my eyes are 77 years old) and will give me as much coverage as possible.

So what would your recommend? Money is not a major issue, and as I'm still a newbie at this, so I'm not familiar with a lot of the jargon.

Thank you!

xicarusx

Feed Provider
Do you need a digital scanner? What area are you in and what type of transmissions are you listening to analog/digital?

If you want a big pretty screen the SDS200 probably has the best screen and read out on the market.

So what would your recommend? Money is not a major issue, and as I'm still a newbie at this, so I'm not familiar with a lot of the jargon.
I'd highly recommend the SDS200 base scanner.

It has a huge, detailed display and uses the database from this site.

It has an excellent speaker too.

Take a look!

It's a recent model from Uniden.

Mobilman44

May I add info.......... I live in north Harris County (Houston area) and listen to police/emergency signals. Wondering if CB signals could be received as well..........

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 has a good size screen, and not much of a learning curve coming from a 436. I had one of them a few years back. Would work well for you.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
May I add info.......... I live in north Harris County (Houston area) and listen to police/emergency signals. Wondering if CB signals could be received as well..........
In 'north Harris County' (Houston metro area), most of your systems of interest are on TxWARN. A great many of the sites on TxWARN, particularly in Harris County, are simulcast. That's where the SDS200 will really help you monitor what you want. Yes, you can program CB, and other things, but where it really shines is on the trunked systems.

If you are keeping your 436HP, use it for CB, aircraft, or other things besides TxWARN. My two 436HPs are on 24/7, 365 days a year, using external power. That's what you should use for your 436HP, external power, not relying on batteries. There are a ton of power supplies out there that will run your 436HP, as well as charge your cellphone or tablet, if you have those.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Good day,
I've had a Uniden BCD436HP set up in the house (attached to an attic antenna) and it has worked as advertised. But, I'm finding I just don't use it very much anymore, mainly due to the need of batteries and the smaller information screen. So I'm looking to get a new unit, one intended for the desktop that doesn't need batteries, has a decent sized screen (my eyes are 77 years old) and will give me as much coverage as possible.

Thank you!

As others on here have stated, most of the public safety is using the TXWARN system, so how is your 436HP handling monitoring that system? If it is doing well with no complaints then the 536HP is the base model of the 436HP (basically the same scanner wrapped up in a base scanner). If you are getting a lot of cut out transmissions and other issues associated with simulcast distortion then consider upgrading to the SDS200. The SDS models were designed for the simulcast systems and work very well. That being said, where the SDS scanners do well on simulcast and would likely perform well on TXWARN, from my experience they don't do as well on lower band frequencies so monitoring CB and such might be more problematic. You might want to consider replacing the 436HP with a base model such as the 536HP or the SDS200 for the public safety that you monitor and then a conventional base scanner such as the BC15X for the conventional frequencies (CB, VHF, etc.)

Mobilman44

Thank you all for the advice and feedback! The SDS200 seems to be what would work best for me, but it looks like it is sold out - except for a couple of used ones on Ebay and a "hi dollar" one from overseas.

When was this unit introduced? Any idea when it will be readily available?

Again, thank you all for the help!

Mobilman44

Thank you......I asked "ScannerMaster" to email me when they were back in stock.

DUMB Question........ I see there are AC adaptors available for the BCD436HP. My question is, where do you hook one up on the unit????

NYRHKY94

Just an FYI. While the Uniden BCD536HP base unit is a nice radio (I have one), the screen leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. One dullish white/blue color only and not easy on the eyes from any distance. Best to go with the SDS200 as suggested above.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI. While the Uniden BCD536HP base unit is a nice radio (I have one), the screen leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. One dullish white/blue color only and not easy on the eyes from any distance. Best to go with the SDS200 as suggested above.

I'll second that, while I don't own a 436 or 536 I wasn't impressed with the screen color. Having had many scanners over the years I am much more of a fan of the older amber screen with the black text vs. the white screen. I do like the SDS models' ability to customize screen and text colors to your own preferences, a big improvement there. Also, not much of a fan of the SMA antenna connections that they started using over the BNC, not really sure where the logic there was being as most users like to be able to easily switch antennas without adding extra connections.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
An alternate idea for you: I connect my BCD 436HP to my computer with a usb cable, which powers the scanner, and I purchased ProScan which gives me a 3” high by 7” wide display formatted like the base/ mobile 536HP screen using the same usb cable to send the data to ProScan which drives the display. I can use the mouse to click the ”buttons“ on the radio, with the bonus of the software logging the information. I can also “detach” the view of the Scanner head.C6BAFB39-D24D-4D89-B323-BC3F801EF536.jpegF1B82A09-8748-4CB7-9FC3-C1FADBDB8863.jpeg

Mobilman44

Again, thank you all for the information & advice - it is greatly appreciated.

I've been "ignoring" the scanner for the last year or so (thanks mainly to Covid) and over the last few days I've gone thru a second learning curve. And with that I've realized it would be best that I get comfortable with the 436 before I get an sd100. This may take a couple of weeks, or given the complexity of the manual, much longer. We will see!

Thanks again!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I've been "ignoring" the scanner for the last year or so (thanks mainly to Covid) and over the last few days I've gone thru a second learning curve. And with that I've realized it would be best that I get comfortable with the 436 before I get an sd100. This may take a couple of weeks, or given the complexity of the manual, much longer.
There's no need to learn about every feature of the 436. Prioritize what you want to do with the scanner and only become proficient in those features. The same would hold true for the SDS100. You don't need to master something you may never use.

Status
Not open for further replies.