• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for DMR (V/U) handheld that receives up to 512 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

xilix

Premium Subscriber
I'm currently in the market for DMR capable dual-band hand-held. On everything I have checked so far, the upper end of the UHF receive is 480 Mhz.
Here in Los Angeles, the UHF-T band (480-512 Mhz) is used quite extensively and I like to listen to the local Sheriff when not on the ham bands.

Extra bonus points if it can scan channels relatively fast. (Yeah, I'm certainly not expecting Uniden scanning speed...).

Does anyone know of a CCR that can do this ?

Thanks!

-XiliX (KG6DOQ)

TassieJay

AnyTone 878 can do this. It may be delivered from the dealer restricted to ham bands, but software can unlock it to RX 400-520 MHz. Further expansion can be had by downloading modified firmware too. Quality CCR, very well liked bit of kit.
Radioddity GD-77 and RD-5R can also RX up to 520 MHz, though you need to modify the codeplug first to do so. Fairly simple task. Downloading the OpenGD77 replacement firmware makes several improvements, including very respectable enhancement to scan speed.
Not sure about others, but going on my experience with the above models, it's pretty likely that most CCRs will have the ability to go above 470 MHz... you just have to find the appropriate modification for the brand & model.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Most of the CCRs use the same chip, and thus are capable of going to 520 MHz. It's just a matter of being able to modify the firmware. Not all have been cracked.

I'll second the Anytone 878. Best CCR I've ever owned. It isn't cheap (~$200), but it's a great radio.

xilix

Premium Subscriber
@TassieJay Thanks for the reply. Although I haven't done it yet, I probably won't find fiddling with code plugs and/or firmware. I like to tinker with things ('cept for soldering surface mount stuff...).

How is the display on the GD-77 vs the RD-5R ?

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I am in the exact same boat as you are. I live outside of Philadelphia, PA and our county uses 500 MHz. After trying the DM-5R and RD-5R, I settled on the Radioddity GD-77. I was perfectly satisfied with the factory firmware and display, but last week, I decided to try the OpenGD77 firmware. There is a slight learning curve, but after that, the new firmware is much better. The display is easier to read, you can now scan entire zones, no longer having to create scan lists and in my opinion, the scan rate is much faster. I've attached a few screenshots of the new firmware, not perfect, but you get the idea.

20200607_023952.jpg20200607_023954.jpg

Here is a link to a forum dedicated to OpenGD77: OpenGD77 - Index page

Here is a link to the user guide for the new firmware: https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/OpenGD77/blob/master/docs/OpenGD77_User_Guide.md

Good luck,

Rich

@TassieJay Thanks for the reply. Although I haven't done it yet, I probably won't find fiddling with code plugs and/or firmware. I like to tinker with things ('cept for soldering surface mount stuff...).

How is the display on the GD-77 vs the RD-5R ?

xilix

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the replies. Just ordered the GD-77. The Open Source firmware caught my interest!

- XiliX (KG6DOQ)

xilix

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to post an update. Got the GD-77 and loaded the OpenGD77 firmware. This was a really simple process. This firmware is much better than the stock. Initially, I was dreading having to build my code plug. But the good news is that I was able to use the DB from this site and download some .csv files for the stuff I was interested in. Had to copy and paste a few things from the RR .csv file to the .csv file the code plug uses. As of now, I have over 400 channels loaded. And this is just the analog side. This radio is going to be used as a combo public safety scanner and ham. This thing scans really fast.

OK...so I am now going to tackle the DMR side of things.

- XiliX (KG6DOQ)

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad that you're enjoying the GD-77. For the money, the GD-77 seems to be the best radio for DMR + 500 MHz. I also noticed that the scan rate has increased dramatically with the OpenGD77 firmware. It's nice not having to create separate scan lists and zone. The other thing that I noticed with either firmware, is that it receives better than my TRX-1 and BCD436HP scanners.

I wanted to post an update. Got the GD-77 and loaded the OpenGD77 firmware. This was a really simple process. This firmware is much better than the stock. Initially, I was dreading having to build my code plug. But the good news is that I was able to use the DB from this site and download some .csv files for the stuff I was interested in. Had to copy and paste a few things from the RR .csv file to the .csv file the code plug uses. As of now, I have over 400 channels loaded. And this is just the analog side. This radio is going to be used as a combo public safety scanner and ham. This thing scans really fast.

OK...so I am now going to tackle the DMR side of things.

- XiliX (KG6DOQ)

xilix

Premium Subscriber
...it receives better than my TRX-1 and BCD436HP scanners.

I was also impressed by the sensitivity. I was expecting it to be similar to an older UV-5R I had but this turned out to be much better.
Thanks again for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.