• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for Dual Band Public Service Radio - What is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachSmith

I am having a difficult time finding a dual band public service radio. I want to buy one for my POV for the agencies I work for, and they will have it programmed for me. I found a Vertex a while back that someone was selling saying it had a card in it for UHF (i think) so that it would function with both bands.

Whats my best bet? I'm not loaded, so I am trying to stay on the used lower end of things. Thanks for any advice you can give. Also, if anyone has anything for sale that fits this category, I would be very interested.

N

N_Jay

I think you will be dealing with two radios and a single control head, not a true dual band radio.

ZachSmith

UHF/VHF. Already have my 800mhz covered. And I'm looking for a mobile. In all honesty, I would like to buy both a mobile and handheld. Any info for either is appreciated.

bezking

In a handheld, as far as I know, you are limited to a choice of 2: Thales Liberty, and the Harris Unity.

Last edited:

KB1JHU

I am having a difficult time finding a dual band public service radio. I want to buy one for my POV for the agencies I work for, and they will have it programmed for me. I found a Vertex a while back that someone was selling saying it had a card in it for UHF (i think) so that it would function with both bands.

Whats my best bet? I'm not loaded, so I am trying to stay on the used lower end of things. Thanks for any advice you can give. Also, if anyone has anything for sale that fits this category, I would be very interested.

I think the Vertex card you speak of was a receive-only option. You would have, for example, your VHF radio for normal ops and then you could have UHF frequencies programmed for receive-only.

From the Vertex Standard site, option available for VX-4100/4200:
Dual-Band Receive For Interoperability
Using the Sub-Receiver option, get dual-band receive for greater flexibility and interoperability for full situational awareness. Single VHF or UHF transmit with dual-band receive helps to make communications more productive.

ZachSmith

Sounds interesting, but I'd like to hear some feedback from anyone here if they've used one of these models.

ZachSmith

I looked up the VX-5500 and it doesn't look like too bad of an option. What were Kenwood models that would do this trick? Anything under $500?

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
I looked up the VX-5500 and it doesn't look like too bad of an option. What were Kenwood models that would do this trick? Anything under $500?

Check out the Kenwood X90 series...TK-790 for VHF, TK-890 for UHF. Use both of them, very robust, in the process of making them dual-band...waiting on some additional time, components, and figuring out space in my vehicle. I'm totally sold on the Kenwood 90's.

Watch E-Ba* for deals on these radios...I got my 890 for $140.

stevelton

I can understand the wanting of a dual band HT. But whats the big deal about a dual band mobile?

In all honesty, I would much rather have separate VHF and UHF, so I can listen to 2 different agencies at once, talk on one and listen to the other,ect.

If you are worried about antennas, you can get a duplexer to combine the 2 different radios into 1 antenna. If you are worried about space in a console, 2 Icoms stacked together is only about 3".
Since you already have a 800meg, not much difference between 2 radios and 3.

Steven

ZachSmith

I might buy these from a dealer (used).
Kenwood TK-705D
Kenwood TK-805D

Would this serve my purpose?

Otherwise I'll look at the mentioned Kenwoods Duster discussed.

Last edited:

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
I might buy these from a dealer (used).
Kenwood TK-705D
Kenwood TK-805D

Would this serve my purpose?

Otherwise I'll look at the mentioned Kenwoods Duster discussed.

Depends upon whether those radios can be combined in a dual-band configuration. I can't find any documentation on them from Kenwood's site, so I don't know.

ZachSmith

I don't mean dual band, but simply using both as two separate radios to cover both bands for public service. I couldn't find much information on these two models (Kenwood TK-705D & Kenwood TK-805D) so I'm not sure if they would work for my purposes. Thanks!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The tk705/805 are 16 ch. 25 watt radios allowing both pl/dpl and scan. What else did you need to know? There is lots of info on google on these also.
n9zas

ZachSmith

I'm just unsure if they will work out of the ham bands for public service channels. I need a radio that I can take to have it programmed for fire/EMS/PD. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.