C Crane Looking for External Speaker Recommendations for Shortwave Radio

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I am looking to improve my C.C Skywave SSB audio with a budget set of speakers that have good mid and high range response with little bass response. I tried the Best Buy brand Ensignia cheap 20 dollar speakers. They don't sound so great.

So what I am looking for is small size no oversized cabinet. Speaker should be almost the size of its enclosure. Characteristics looking for are good mids and highs for SSB and Aircraft band, stereo set for the FM part. Please make sure you actually own and use the ones you recommend.

majoco

Stirrer
I got all my small speakers from the op shops. To reduce the bass and increase the mids and highs, feed the speaker through a 2uF non-polarised capacitor. You can try various capacitors to suit your taste - or hearing!

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I got all my small speakers from the op shops. To reduce the bass and increase the mids and highs, feed the speaker through a 2uF non-polarised capacitor. You can try various capacitors to suit your taste - or hearing!
Thrift stores are something I didn't think of. Maybe I will trek around the city and try to find some. Thanks for the suggestion on the capacitor.
I won't try it on the type of speakers I have now. The speaker is too small for it's casing. It has a terrible "speaker in a cup" acoustics. Not good for single side band audio. These speakers.
1674129135974.png