Looking for feed software with a specific feature

smb3

Feed Provider
I heard a broadcastify feed one time that had a "stream working" noise that would activate when the feed audio was silent. It was useful for knowing that you were still connected and getting audio when the source audio feed had no activity.

The behavior of the feature worked like this:
When there was audio, a low volume faster "ticking" tone could be heard in the background. When the source audio feed dropped, like at the end of a transmission on a repeater, the noise would increase in volume and change to a slower rhythmic toned noise.

It was not RF getting into the connector or something unintentional, because I did speak with a friend of the feed provider who didn't know the name of the software but knew it was a feature and turned on intentionally.

Does anyone know which piece of software had that capability?

Reconrider

As a feed listener of some towns I can't get on my own scanner, the first time I hear that happen, I would close it just as fast as I opened it.
With that said, it's your feed so do with it as long as it's by the RR rules.

smb3

Feed Provider
To be honest, that sounds like it would be annoying as hell to listen to.

As a feed listener of some towns I can't get on my own scanner, the first time I hear that happen, I would close it just as fast as I opened it.
With that said, it's your feed so do with it as long as it's by the RR rules.

It wasn't annoying, my description makes it sound louder and more prominent then it was. It was a low volume background noise that simply let you know you were connected.

smb3

Feed Provider
Many feeds pick up the low frequency hum (or hiss, at times) of your computer's sound card input when the sound source is at idle. To me this is proof enough that the feed is still online
glad that works for you, but it doesn't answer my question ;)

Ubbe

I use ScannerLive when monitoring feeds and it shows when there's no connection to a feed. It also has other features making it worthwhile to have. It would be very annoying listening to a constant ticking from a feed and I have always wondered why some feeds have such a noisy background audio when idle, besides the ones that have mains hum, but now I know.

/Ubbe

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I've NEVER heard of this being done intentionally. As someone else posted, it may have been other noise caused by the PC or something in close proximity to the feed. I don't know of anyone that would want to hear anything other than silence between actual audio from the receiver. If I am listening to a feed and there is any level of noise I will turn it off. If you bring up a feed that is not working it will not stream and will not stay connected to Broadcastify.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Sounds awful. This seems to be a "feature" of many feeds that are hastily setup with no attention to detail put into them, such as using a ground loop isolator when necessary, or not adjusting the levels correctly.

If your feed goes down, you will get an email notification. Seems like that's more than enough to know if there's an issue with your feed.

smb3

Feed Provider
NONE of these answers are helpful! At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man I will say I am amazed at how many people not only ignore an important part of my original question post, but also feel the need to inject their opinions on the subject.

As stated before, the noise was added INTENTIONALLY so NO, it is NOT ground loop noise. It is NOT mains hum. I do not CARE what feed monitoring software has visual indicators.

I am looking for a specific obscure feature of software. If nobody has anything useful to say, then don't say anything! I don't care what your standards are for a feed. I don't care if you prefer there to be silence. I DID NOT ASK!

a417

NONE of these answers are helpful! At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man I will say I am amazed at how many people not only ignore an important part of my original question post, but also feel the need to inject their opinions on the subject.

As stated before, the noise was added INTENTIONALLY so NO, it is NOT ground loop noise. It is NOT mains hum. I do not CARE what feed monitoring software has visual indicators.

I am looking for a specific obscure feature of software. If nobody has anything useful to say, then don't say anything! I don't care what your standards are for a feed. I don't care if you prefer there to be silence. I DID NOT ASK!
Jeez, I can see why Broadcastify not changing the feed name as you requested in a week during the holiday season triggered you.

I can think of a way to do it on Linux, but I would probably be correct in assuming that you use Windows, yes?

LilTeddyP

Jeez, I can see why Broadcastify not changing the feed name as you requested in a week during the holiday season triggered you.

I can think of a way to do it on Linux, but I would probably be correct in assuming that you use Windows, yes?

Oh shoot I laughed hard🤣. I would’ve laughed harder if I wasn’t a peasant. Someday I’ll learn 😞

smb3

Feed Provider

I do use Linux, please do tell!