Looking For Feedback On The BCT-8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp883

I'm looking to re-install a scanner in my truck. I had one of my BC-780's in my truck but when I got my ham ticket almost 3 years ago I took the 780 out and replaced it with a Yaesu FT-7800 transceiver. That got replaced by my current transceiver, a Kenwood TM-V708A. Since the Kenwood doesn't scan VHF-Lo or trunk systems I want to put a scanner back in, along with the Kenwood, but the 780 is just too big. B
based on the dimensions posted on-line I might be able to find a spot for the BCT-8.

I just want to know if anyone here has any experience with the BCT-8, good or bad. I've owned many different Uniden scanners over the years and never had any issues with any of them.

Thanking you all in advance!

n2mdk

I'm looking to re-install a scanner in my truck. I had one of my BC-780's in my truck but when I got my ham ticket almost 3 years ago I took the 780 out and replaced it with a Yaesu FT-7800 transceiver. That got replaced by my current transceiver, a Kenwood TM-V708A. Since the Kenwood doesn't scan VHF-Lo or trunk systems I want to put a scanner back in, along with the Kenwood, but the 780 is just too big. B
based on the dimensions posted on-line I might be able to find a spot for the BCT-8.

I just want to know if anyone here has any experience with the BCT-8, good or bad. I've owned many different Uniden scanners over the years and never had any issues with any of them.

Thanking you all in advance!

If you still have the 780 I would just reinstall that, unless you want to go with a BCT15 I think the 780 is better than the BCT8

jmp883

Boy....do I feel like an idiot!!!

Capt-Clint posted:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4254
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCT8

Before I buy any piece of ham radio gear, new or used, I always go to eham to read the reviews. I never even thought of eham for scanner reviews....duh!

I've been every place on the RR.com website except the wiki pages. I'll have to check that out as well....duh! (#2)

N2MDK wrote:

If you still have the 780 I would just reinstall that, unless you want to go with a BCT15 I think the 780 is better than the BCT8

I would love to put the 780 back in but there isn't room in my truck (1996 Ford Explorer with the full factory console from the dashboard to between the front seats. The Kenwood transceiver, auxiliary speaker, and Sirius satellite radio take up most of the console space. The BCT-15 and the 780 are very similar in size so that really rules out the BCT-15. The BCT-8 is small enough that I can either mount it on the side of the console in front of the passenger seat, or possibly under the dash on the passenger side. That's really not an option though, since trying to operate it when mobile would be difficult. I'm also looking at a gooseneck mount but I'm worrying that the radio might be too heavy for a gooseneck. I believe they're intended for control head mounting only.

Oh well....somehow I'll get a scanner back in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.