Looking For First Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

0x4a64

Premium Subscriber
After years of wanting to get into scanning I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I'd like to learn with an actual scanner in front of me so I was wondering if you folks could recommend a good starter unit for me that will also provide the functionality I need as I become more adept. I live in Minneapolis and would like to scan all of the local city frequencies as well as aircraft and military if possible. I could go either way on portable vs. home base scanning but I'll probably be doing most of my scanning in the home. I'd just like to jump in with a unit that is easy to use and has good functionality. My budget for a scanner is in the sub $1,000 range.

I believe the city of Minneapolis is all digital and uses P25. From what I've researched so far, the Bearcat BCD396xt or BCD996xt might be my best bets but I'd like to hear if you have any better suggestions based on my criteria.

Thanks!

wogggieee

After years of wanting to get into scanning I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I'd like to learn with an actual scanner in front of me so I was wondering if you folks could recommend a good starter unit for me that will also provide the functionality I need as I become more adept. I live in Minneapolis and would like to scan all of the local city frequencies as well as aircraft and military if possible. I could go either way on portable vs. home base scanning but I'll probably be doing most of my scanning in the home. I'd just like to jump in with a unit that is easy to use and has good functionality. My budget for a scanner is in the sub $1,000 range.

I believe the city of Minneapolis is all digital and uses P25. From what I've researched so far, the Bearcat BCD396xt or BCD996xt might be my best bets but I'd like to hear if you have any better suggestions based on my criteria.

Thanks!
Well the current digital scanners that would work for you are:
Uniden BCD396XT(handheld) and BCD996XT(base)
RadioShack Pro106 and Pro107
GRE PSR500(handheld) and PSR600(base)

Those are the new top of the line. There are others that are older models that will work that you could probably get cheaper. But if your budget is sub $1000 the difference between spending $350 for a used and $500 for a new probably wouldnt be an issue so I would just get a new one. Once you get it I would highly suggest using software to program it. Programing these scanners by hand is tedious and can be done much easier and quicker with software. The software can be purchase/downloaded for $25-50. When you get a scanner come back here and we'll be willing to help you out and some people will likely share their files. More info about the scanners is in the wiki: Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.