looking for handheld scanner to record multiple fm frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

banded08

Hello,

I am David Jansen, a PhD student in animal communication. For my research I am hoping to use audio collars to record vocalisations of banded mngooses. I have the collars. They transmit the sound using a fm frequency. Untill now I have used several ICom scanners to recieve the transmitted sound and then I connect it to a recording device. But now I would like to use multiple collars at the same time.
I would there for like to know if it there are (preferably handheld) scanners that can receive multiple fm frequencies at the same time and even better would be if it could record it.

Thanks a lot in advance,
David Jansen

DickH

Hello,

I am David Jansen, a PhD student in animal communication. For my research I am hoping to use audio collars to record vocalisations of banded mngooses. I have the collars. They transmit the sound using a fm frequency. Untill now I have used several ICom scanners to recieve the transmitted sound and then I connect it to a recording device. But now I would like to use multiple collars at the same time.
I would there for like to know if it there are (preferably handheld) scanners that can receive multiple fm frequencies at the same time and even better would be if it could record it.

Thanks a lot in advance,
David Jansen

To my knowledge there is no scanner that can receive multiple frequencies at the same time and none that I know of that have built-in recording capability. Scanners can receive hundreds, even one thousand, frequencies sequentially, but not simultaneously.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The ICOM PCR-2500, and R-2500 are not hand-helds, but they are capable of receiving two different frequencies at the same time. They are very expensive, and probably not an ideal solution.

WouffHong

dual receive

The ICOM PCR-2500, and R-2500 are not hand-helds, but they are capable of receiving two different frequencies at the same time. They are very expensive, and probably not an ideal solution.

some Ham handhelds can both scan and receive 2 frequencies simultaneously, but only 2!

I use a Kenwood TH-6FA transciever and much cheaper and smaller than most PCR's. :) No license needed for receive, of course.
There may be others.. Would be nice if you could find one with "blown" transmitter finals, as you will not be transmitting and could save a bit.

No built-in record-function, but a simple VOX-type circuit could kick off the recorder using the audio as the trigger.

Wouff

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Looking for handheld scanner to record multiple frequencies

Can you tell us all you know about these collars? Like the make & model, amount of collars you are working with, total number of & the exact frequencies, mode used, maybe a website or some kind of contact info that we can look over for you?

FLRAILMAN

banded08

Can you tell us all you know about these collars? Like the make & model, amount of collars you are working with, total number of & the exact frequencies, mode used, maybe a website or some kind of contact info that we can look over for you?

FLRAILMAN

Hi,

the collars are made by Sirtrack, but are no longer in production so I can't provide a website. The frequencies are in the 150 Khz and examples of frequencies are 150.80, 150.75.
Ideally I could receive up to 4 frequencies at the same time, but 2 would already be greet.

Thanks for the input.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Looking for good handheld scanner to record multiple frequencies

Is this the company? If it is, they are still in business, try contacting them through their customer care contact page & maybe they can solve your dilemma since they produce these collars. Good luck.

Sirtrack - Wildlife Tracking Solutions. Home page.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

banded08

Is this the company? If it is, they are still in business, try contacting them through their customer care contact page & maybe they can solve your dilemma since they produce these collars. Good luck.

Sirtrack - Wildlife Tracking Solutions. Home page.

FLRAILMAN

Hi,

Yes that is the compagny and I have been in contact with them. What I ment was that there is no site about the audio collar. They can however is no longer give support for this product. That why I am looking for other solutions.

Thanks and greets,
David

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The frequencies you list can all be monitored using the least expensive scanners (like BC72XLT). You might consider getting 4 of these and connect them to a 4-track recorder like TASCAM DP-004 DIGITAL 4 TRACK RECORDER. Total solution would be a little over $500 (there might be cheaper 4-track recorders, too...that is just the first one I found w/Google).

Status
Not open for further replies.