• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for Harris P7200 programming cable

jrothwell

Premium Subscriber
Upon further research, it appears that it may depend on the firmware version in the radio, whether or not the MRK requires the programming interface or will work with just the cable.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I've been toying with making some cables for these.. I might take another look into it. I have the bits and pieces but it sure isn't pretty in it's current configuration lol
Would you be inclined to provide a schematic diagram of the cable?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I've programmed several LPE-200s with just the cable and I've programmed even more P7100s and P7200s with the same cable. I have never had any issue. I'm even using a serial to USB adaptor.
Did the serial to USB adapter have a DB9 or DB25 connector? From the pictures I've seen it appears to be a DB25. Can you advise the pin numbers used in the connector? Curious if a microphone cable can be converted to programming.

jrothwell

Premium Subscriber
Did the serial to USB adapter have a DB9 or DB25 connector? From the pictures I've seen it appears to be a DB25. Can you advise the pin numbers used in the connector? Curious if a microphone cable can be converted to programming.
DB9...I'll check when I get home.

merlin

That is incorrect. Even the MRK does not need anything but the cable. I've used the same cable on MRKs as I have to program the LPE-200s and P7100s and P7200s. Older GE Radios did require an additional "RIB", but not these ones.
Well, I use the same programming cable on MRK, LPE200, and P7100, and works just fine. You are right, no rib needed but the UDC is different on the P7200 and newer.

merlin

The pin assignment is different and the board is not possible to convert from mic to programming.
Programming cables can come in USB or RS-232/DB9. either will work. (the USB has a converter to RS232)

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
The pin assignment is different and the board is not possible to convert from mic to programming.
Programming cables can come in USB or RS-232/DB9. either will work. (the USB has a converter to RS232)
Is this a valid part number? 19B801971P3

BMDaug

I am licensed…
The bottom line is that this all depends on the cable you have. Either you have the db25 cable with no active electronics (needs a rib), or you have the db9 cable with active electronics.

I have a set of six p7100ip VHF radios and they arrived with a rib, and a db25 cable. That worked fine with any firmware/DSP I tried. Then, I purchased a used p7100 programming cable from New London (with a bulge in the middle of the cable containing the active electronics), and ditched the rib. This seems to work equally well and is much more convenient than a rib.

My rib actually has audio I/O and a PTT button, and has the db25 cable attached and a db25 to db9 on the other side for connection to a ‘normal’ serial port.

I have no use for the rib any longer I guess, now that I have both the OEM programming cable and the OEM Keyload cable.

Finding the right firmware and DSP to get the full compliment of P25C features working on a p7100 was extremely difficult and I eventually had to have a dealer ask TAC for it… it’s import controlled and I had a heck of a time getting it. It’s only mentioned in a couple of Harris docs and not listed in any KeyManager compatibility table that I’ve seen… I can not distribute it.

It completely changed the operation of the radio in how it programs/loads keys/wipes keys. Now all I have to do is hit program from RPM and it enters programming mode on its own. Before that, I had to hold keys at power up to enter program mode. Same goes for Keyload and when wiping keys, it forces a wait period that has always been required, but lacked verbosity on the radio. It takes time for the keys to be fully deleted and not waiting can be problematic. Now I’m forced to wait!

Before I found that FW/DSP, I would have to set the squelch mode to MON to get the radio to unmute when using AES. DES worked fine with SEL, but AES had to be received with the other radio set to TX in the clear! No iCall, no TG support… it was so baffling!

-B

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
The bottom line is that this all depends on the cable you have. Either you have the db25 cable with no active electronics (needs a rib), or you have the db9 cable with active electronics.
Therein lies my problem, I don't have a cable and am trying to figure out what I need and can I DIY a cable.
My rib actually has audio I/O and a PTT button, and has the db25 cable attached and a db25 to db9 on the other side for connection to a ‘normal’ serial port.

Well well, I guess that statement confirms that rib's were used a few years ago, contrary to what others have stated in my thread.
I have no use for the rib any longer I guess, now that I have both the OEM programming cable and the OEM Keyload cable.
A desire to sell maybe?
Finding the right firmware and DSP to get the full compliment of P25C features working on a p7100 was extremely difficult and I eventually had to have a dealer ask TAC for it… it’s import controlled and I had a heck of a time getting it. It’s only mentioned in a couple of Harris docs and not listed in any KeyManager compatibility table that I’ve seen…
Yeah, not likely I'll go there with this kayak anchor. This all began as a learning process for me. I have scanners to accomplish the same function but no clue how they actually do what they do. At 75 years old I look for interesting things to keep my mind sharp and trunk programming an older radio seemed like a good idea at the time. But I am enjoying all the discourse in this thread, thanks for your reply.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Therein lies my problem, I don't have a cable and am trying to figure out what I need and can I DIY a cable.

Well well, I guess that statement confirms that rib's were used a few years ago, contrary to what others have stated in my thread.

A desire to sell maybe?

Yeah, not likely I'll go there with this kayak anchor. This all began as a learning process for me. I have scanners to accomplish the same function but no clue how they actually do what they do. At 75 years old I look for interesting things to keep my mind sharp and trunk programming an older radio seemed like a good idea at the time. But I am enjoying all the discourse in this thread, thanks for your reply.
So, to my understanding, a rib in its most basic form is an rs232 to TTL converter. It basically translates voltage levels and keeps the logic intact. That’s why they were able to move from a metal box to a small inline converter as semiconductor manufacturing miniaturized. You can DIY electronically with relative ease, but the issue is always a plastic form that will mate to the radio, while making reliable connections.

If you are interested in trunking and scanning a trunked system, you should buy a ~$50 RTLSDR and install SDRTrunk on your PC. You’ll see a lot of information, like the unit IDs of the units communicating, the talk group they are communicating on, info about the tower sites and control channels, as well as adjacency data. It’s really cool and will allow you to glean a lot of details that a scanner just doesn’t display. Not discouraging you from programming you own radio, but it’s a great tool to augment your programming abilities.

If I sell the rib and accessories, I’ll pm you when I list the item in the classified section. Unfortunately, I think it’s worth more than you paid for the radio, but also not as much as the going rate for an OEM cable. (Still more than an RTLSDR though 😉.)

-Brian

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
So, to my understanding, a rib in its most basic form is an rs232 to TTL converter. It basically translates voltage levels and keeps the logic intact. That’s why they were able to move from a metal box to a small inline converter as semiconductor manufacturing miniaturized. You can DIY electronically with relative ease, but the issue is always a plastic form that will mate to the radio, while making reliable connections.
I built something similar many years back TTL to RS232 using Max232 chips to program AOR receivers.

If you are interested in trunking and scanning a trunked system, you should buy a ~$50 RTLSDR and install SDRTrunk on your PC.
I did that a couple of years ago but again all the magic was in software. It was a learning process but easily accomplished. I may be wrong but it appears to me that doing the same thing with a 7200 is a larger challenge, especially to have all the TG's identified. I really enjoy coming to RR due to all the expertise available.

merlin

That appears to be for the 7300 and xg series. Won’t fit the 7200.
Your probably right. I don't have a 7200 to check, but do have the 7300.
I thought them both being OMAP, they had the same UDC. My bad.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
My cable arrived from NLT over the weekend. It has the DB-25 connector, multiple wires and a couple of resistors in series with two wires. I have a DIY DB-25 to DB-9 converter cable but it will not make all the connections the DB-25 requires.

Are the multiple connections used to signal the P7200 to enable program mode?

Most of the RS-232 cables I have used in the past only needed transmit, receive, ground and sometimes RTS/DTS. I'll wring out the pin numbers this week and try to figure out how this RS-232/TTL circuit works. Don't know if I still have a 232/TTL converter in the junque box, time for a deep dive I guess.

Found! USB to TTL converter-any clue if this can be made to work?

If anyone has a schematic/wiring diagram for the DB-25 I would appreciate a copy.

Last edited: