Looking for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, sorry if it's not. I am trying to locate a receive freq for the Maine forest service, It is the OPS-1 freq
Thank you...

ecps92

The Maine FS has moved to the Statewide Trunked System.
There is No "ONE" Frequency, that is a Talk-Group.

You will need to program in the nearest trunked sites and, if a radio is affiliated with that site on that TG, or the SysAdmin allows that TG to be on all sites you may then hear it

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, sorry if it's not. I am trying to locate a receive freq for the Maine forest service, It is the OPS-1 freq
Thank you...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I found where it list the ops channels but not the freq's
These are talkgroups on a trunked system, so you can't just enter a conventional channel frequency & listen.

You would need to program the statewide system:

See this Wiki page for more information on trunked systems:
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

As Bill has noted, you would program the site (or sites) closest to you, along with the talkgroups of interest.

What model scanner do you have? In order to monitor this agency, the scanner has to be capable of monitoring a P25 Phase I (digital) trunked system.

The Maine FS has moved to the Statewide Trunked System.
There is No "ONE" Frequency, that is a Talk-Group.

You will need to program in the nearest trunked sites and, if a radio is affiliated with that site on that TG, or the SysAdmin allows that TG to be on all sites you may then hear it

ok thank you, I don't have a clue how to program that...lol

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have a mobile and portable radio. CDM 1550 ls and a APX6000
Neither of these are scanners.

If I'm looking at the correct details for the CDM 1550, that radio does not support trunked systems. Also, the page I find with a Google search indicates the radio works on Vhf-lo frequencies, not Vhf-high, though there could be other variants with the correct frequency range, but still not trunked system capable.

As for the APX6000, I'm not familiar with all the capabilities of this model. It would have to be one that handles Vhf-high frequencies, and also be capable of monitoring a trunked system. (It appears this model handles only one band, with variants for each of the major frequency ranges.) Whoever programs it (assuming your's is the correct band and is trunked system capable) would need to make sure that it does not affiliate or transmit on the system. If it does, the system admin can send a signal that would immediately completely disable the radio. A local, competent, local radio dealer could answer whatever questions you have on the radio, though they may not want to program it unless you had permission from the system administrator.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Going forward if you wish to monitor this system, just purchase a scanner. Much easier to program for Trunked Radio System, plus it can't bricked or anyway interfer with system if it is misprogrammed.

Your APX6000 really isn't the radio to monitor a Trunked Radio System for beginner, even if able to be programmed NAS scan is able to be set up.

Also to another comment from someone else on this tread the CDM1550 comes in different band versions, like low band, high band and maybe a few versions of UHF to cover the complete UHF spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.