Looking for inexpensive directional antenna (150 MHz & 450 MHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuscan

I'm looking for an inexpensive directional antenna that covers 150 MHz & 450 MHz bands. I plan on mounting it just outside my bedroom window. I have 2 trunking systems that are just out side my range with an indoor back of radio antenna. My hope is a better out door directional antenna pointed in the direction of the system will pull in these systems.

It could be DIY or something from an electronics store.

I did try a magnetic mount car scanner antenna placed just out side my windows but it did not receive anything I couldn't hear with my indoor antenna so I need something to get that extra weak or slightly out of range signal.

cpetraglia

I would try a DTV antenna and mount it with vertical polarization. I use one to overcome the LSM issues here and it works well. You can use RG6 all the way to the radio and get an adapter to match your radio antenna input. They can be found anywhere with decent pricing.

compuscan

Thanks, I think I'll try DTV antenna but shouldn't it be mounted vertical because most 2-way radio systems have their antennas mounted vertical?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
TV antennas work very well on VHF and UHF bands for the price and effort needed to acquire / set them up. But yes, as cpetraglia wrote - mount the antenna with vertical polarization. In the case of the antenna in the link he provided, rotate it 90 degrees so the elements are all vertical.

Ubbe

That amazone antenne looks real good and on a bargain price and an amplifier can't hurt if you try to receive a distant system.
If the 150MHz needs to be increased you can try and somehow make thoose loops longer, 20 inch each or try a quick trick and clamp a tube or stiff wire to the original loops.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.