Looking for information for Tech lic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozer295

I'm looking to try and get into amateur radio I know that I have to get a license from the FCC. I am sure with a little studying I should be able to pass the test. I am looking for some information about what study guides would be the best, and possible testing locations in Middle Tennessee, preferably close to Cookeville, Tn but I would be willing to travel to Nashville, or even Knoxville if I have to. I am interested in the 2 meter band. I'm not totally new to radio, I have used VHF radio's as a volunteer firefighter for quite a few years, and I have had a CB in my vehicles sense I was 16. I have been doing research into a few 2 meter radios, particularly the Kenwood TM-281A, Icom IC-V8000, and Yeasu's FT-2900 and FT-1900. any opinion on those would be appreciated as well. I know this is a lot, but I just want to try and break into a higher level of the radio hobby.

LtDoc

There are several printed study guides, and also a couple of places to take practice exams on the internet. I'd suggest both if possible. I'd also suggest that you not aim for the technician license, but for at least the general class license. Nothing says you have to use all the bands, but it's very nice being able to, you know? The only limiting factor with the exams is -you-. I don't think you should have a huge problem with any of the tests.
I have no idea about your area, but there ought'a be a club/group near you that can give the tests. A club/group is a nice thing to be a part of, all kinds of benefits to it, mainly someone to ask questions about stuff.
I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which of the radios you listed that I would rather have (and I do)? That TM-281 is really a nice 2 meter radio. Doesn't have all the bells-n-whistles others have, but so what. It does have a very nice receiver, and that's definitely a 'biggy'. It does have 'qwerks' just like all radios do. One of them is that there's no cooling fan, the whole thing seems to be a heatsink. That means that using the mounting bracket as a 'stand' is necessary, sort of. Whatever you sit it on is going to get hot too.
So, have fun and good luck!
- 'Doc

n8zcc

I'm looking to try and get into amateur radio I know that I have to get a license from the FCC. I am sure with a little studying I should be able to pass the test. I am looking for some information about what study guides would be the best, and possible testing locations in Middle Tennessee, preferably close to Cookeville, Tn but I would be willing to travel to Nashville, or even Knoxville if I have to. I am interested in the 2 meter band. I'm not totally new to radio, I have used VHF radio's as a volunteer firefighter for quite a few years, and I have had a CB in my vehicles sense I was 16. I have been doing research into a few 2 meter radios, particularly the Kenwood TM-281A, Icom IC-V8000, and Yeasu's FT-2900 and FT-1900. any opinion on those would be appreciated as well. I know this is a lot, but I just want to try and break into a higher level of the radio hobby.

You can find VEC testing sessions from the ARRL web site:
Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

You can take practice tests at:
QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams

You will find that all three brands make good radios and all three have been around for a long time. My preference is Yaesu for hand helds and mobile FM. Also take a look at dual band radios like the Yaesu FT-8900. Alinco is also another brand to consider.

Locate your local ham radio club(s) (you can find them at the ARRL web site) and start asking the local hams about equipment.
Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

Last edited:

Dozer295

thank you for all of the replys I have taken the advice to both check out that online blog to check out those free study guides I have downloaded both the one for tech and general. I thought for now I would get my tech and then upgrade to the general at a later date. I also took the advice of searching for local clubs through the ARRL's website, boy was I surprised that there was so many clubs with-in 100 miles of my home town, I will definitely be checking a couple of those clubs that are closest to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.