Looking for Input on a rack mountable Digital Audio Recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

juneau

Feed Provider
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good rack-mount digital audio recorder? Needs to have a remote contact jack for start/stop record of radio audio.

prcguy

What kind of quality do you need? If its just for scanner audio you might be better off with an old laptop running a free recording program that has a squelch function. Set and forget and it will only record when there is audio activity. Or load it up with Audacity, a free program that will do pretty good audio quality.

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
Have several PC's running with DLI Personal Logger software: DLI DOWNLOAD CENTER
Records both radio or phone if needed. Audio quality is excellent and recordings are time-stamped. The page above also has links to their hardware products.

hfflunki

I no everything on a raspi running DC and when I ran standard radios I liked Gemini setups the
Done out of slot of rf noise but most that stuff is no longer made .if you have your heart set on rackmount
Get a tascam but if you want the best for the money and most widely used this is what you need
Sangean DAR-101 Professional Grade Digital MP3 Recorder (Black) Amazon.com: Sangean DAR-101 Professional Grade Digital MP3 Recorder (Black): Electronics

juneau

Feed Provider
I no everything on a raspi running DC and when I ran standard radios I liked Gemini setups the
Done out of slot of rf noise but most that stuff is no longer made .if you have your heart set on rackmount
Get a tascam but if you want the best for the money and most widely used this is what you need
Sangean DAR-101 Professional Grade Digital MP3 Recorder (Black) Amazon.com: Sangean DAR-101 Professional Grade Digital MP3 Recorder (Black): Electronics
Thanks Dan, I had looked at that Sangean and it looks pretty much what I need but not in a rack, thanks for your input, I'll keep searching around.

juneau

Feed Provider
What kind of quality do you need? If its just for scanner audio you might be better off with an old laptop running a free recording program that has a squelch function. Set and forget and it will only record when there is audio activity. Or load it up with Audacity, a free program that will do pretty good audio quality.
I would like to avoid running a computer just to record audio. Thanks for your reply

a417

I would like to avoid running a computer just to record audio. Thanks for your reply
Even though a small system like a raspi can allow you to do logging, file naming, ethernet transport (or wireless) and runs on a 5v wall wart? You wouldn't even need to rack mount it.

hfflunki

I run my sdrs on raspi and do logging on a tablet along with freq lookup and it does fine for me I use a 909x for mw dx and run the TV and raspi DC but it's not the most nice looking gui and you need a fan case plus buck converter

AC9BX

Ugh, once you get to rack mount you're looking at professional products, very expensive. Most are multi-track, 24bit, thousands of dollars.
Consider the Tascam SD-20M or Denon DN300R (still in stock, about $200). The SD-20 has a front panel remote control plug in, intended for use with a foot switch but that could be adapted to about anything.
I wouldn't recommend it but there's the Gemini DRP-1, might find it used.
Some of the Tascam CD recorders (which you could also use) have solid state recording as well, SS-CDR250 or without CD, SS-R250.
Denon DN700 is quite nice.

If it's just for radio scanning I would consider an old Tascam MD301 or 350 Minidisk deck. (Or similar Sony) Minidisk is cheap, robust, those decks have a 'vox' mode, makes a new track for each new recording, and in mono or LP2 mode the 80 minute disk holds 160, in LP4 mode it holds 320 minutes. There's also Hi-LP mode which on a 1G Hi-MD disk you'd get 2040 minutes. Only the newest models support the Hi-MD modes. You'd have to check the specs to see what the model supports.

juneau

Feed Provider
Ugh, once you get to rack mount you're looking at professional products, very expensive. Most are multi-track, 24bit, thousands of dollars.
Consider the Tascam SD-20M or Denon DN300R (still in stock, about $200). The SD-20 has a front panel remote control plug in, intended for use with a foot switch but that could be adapted to about anything.
I wouldn't recommend it but there's the Gemini DRP-1, might find it used.
Some of the Tascam CD recorders (which you could also use) have solid state recording as well, SS-CDR250 or without CD, SS-R250.
Denon DN700 is quite nice.

If it's just for radio scanning I would consider an old Tascam MD301 or 350 Minidisk deck. (Or similar Sony) Minidisk is cheap, robust, those decks have a 'vox' mode, makes a new track for each new recording, and in mono or LP2 mode the 80 minute disk holds 160, in LP4 mode it holds 320 minutes. There's also Hi-LP mode which on a 1G Hi-MD disk you'd get 2040 minutes. Only the newest models support the Hi-MD modes. You'd have to check the specs to see what the model supports.

Great input, thanks for your reply, I will research these models! Thanks again

juneau

Feed Provider
Status
Not open for further replies.