Looking for Input on potential Mobile Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLFD127

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,
Bear with me here, I just registered today and haven't done that much poking around the forums yet. I don't have my ticket yet, hopefully getting that here soon. I know what I want to use radios for, and In the meantime, Ive started looking for "starter" equipment in my price range. Im looking for a VHF/UHF dual-band unit, with Part 90 certification to use for public safety work (Im a Volunteer Firefighter), another dual band or quad band mobile to use for general ham use and potentially skywarn work. Then a cb and other things I wont pester you all with. What do you guys suggest? As well as low profile antennas, I definitely do t want an "Antenna Farm". I've noticed the Wouxun units, but in the little time Ive been on, they dont seen to be the best option. I know what I need it to do, I just dont know whats best suited for the job. Any help is appreciated you guys! If Ive posted in the wrong section, or if bringing back the problem of Part 90 upsets anyone, I apologize.
Thank you all!
SLFS15C2

KE5YOU

A part 90 certified dual band radio on a budget is a tall order and in all honesty you really only have two options. The Powerwerx rig (rebranded Wouxun) which isn't a terrible option, I had a Wouxun HT and it wasn't a bad radio for what it was. Or find a used Kenwood TK 690/790/890. These radios were commerical dual band rigs that Kenwood produced. If I recall correctly they are now out of production but they can be found on the used market.

As for dual band ham rig that is much easier. Just about every manufacturer produces a good dual band and most produce some form of HF/VHFUHF rig. But what is best for you depends upon what features you are wanting on the radio. Personally I like the Yaesu 857D for a do most everything mobile rig. However if you want a simple dual band VHF/UHF then the possiblities are almost limitless. Personally I am a Kenwod guy as such I have TM-D710 in my truck and think it is a great unit. Although I admit that some of the new offerings from Yaesu and ICOM are interesting. With all that being said if I had the cash to drop right now I would have my D710 and a 480 SAT in my truck as a mobile ham setup and a NX-800 for work use.

Antenna are intresting game. At time we need low profile as such we ofter sacrifice performance for form factor. And at times that sacrifice is accaptable and other times it is not. My truck had a SBB-5 on the side of the tool box of years, but sadly my last trip to the deer lease destroyed the antenna. This was an excellent antenna. A little tall but it didn't draw to much attention. However low profile and HF antenna just don't go together. As such if you want a mobile HF rig just go ahead and be ready to put a rather large antenna on your vehicle.

avgas

If I was doing it over I would just buy the radio that I really liked. I spent money on a few different radios and have ended up with the Icom IC-2820 in my truck. I like the radio because it is dual band and dual display. This radio also crossband repeats and thats a great feature to have.

I use a 1/4 wave antenna on the roof of my truck. I use an NMO mount for the antenna. This to me is the cleanest looking install. I am not a fan of mag mount antennas. A comet B-10 NMO antenna works very well for me. I have tried running a longer antenna and didnt notice any real advantage.

I would recomend something like the ID-51 as well. Nice little radio that is dual band and dual display. Having 2 radios in one is pretty nice. I also have a yeasu VX-8G and its a nice little hand held radio.

Good luck making a decision, There are alot of choices out there, but remember you get what you pay for.

prcguy

There is also the Anytone dual band mobile radios that are Part 90 and amateur and its said they are better and cheaper than the Wouxun mobile. They even have a Triband coming out that may or may not be part 90. Ed at Import Communications/Wouxun.US is really nice to deal with and was the original importer of Wouxun before dropping them due to price and quality problems. See: AT-5888UV | Chinese Dual Band Mobile Radio
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.