Looking for input/thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
A little back information. All I monitor is the KSICS system mainly KHP. I currently have a BDC536HP with a Wilson 301126 antenna sitting outside about 7" up off the ground, sometimes I can get a signal from the tower I want to pick up, however, it is not very stable to use 24/7.

I've been thinking about setting up an outside antenna. The KSICS tower I'm trying to pick up is about 24 miles away

I'm looking to put up a small tower maybe 10-20' been thinking about using this: Wilson Telescoping Antenna Mounting Pole 25

I ran across this when looking in the Wiki antenna forum: Wilson 700-800MHz Yagi

I've mainly been looking at the DPD Productions (851-869 MHz) Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna 800 MHZ

Thought about the Antenna's knowing what I'm looking to do?

I know LMR 400 would be the best to use, however, with a 20 to 30' coax line would RG8X work well in this case?

Thank you in advance!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
What radio are you using? Do you really need a telescoping tower? How about just a pole in sections? Always best to go with the lowest loss coax that you can afford in that frequency range.

Last edited:

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
What radio are you using? Do you really need a tower? How about just a pole on the side of the house near a window? Always best to go with the lowest loss coax that you can afford in that frequency range.

Using BCD536.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I just looked at the telescoping pole that you were talking about and changed my post, I would think that you could just use a pole in sections. Antennas look good.

Could your issues be simulcast distortion secondary to the phase ll system?

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at the telescoping pole that you were talking about and changed my post, I would think that you could just use a pole in sections. Antennas look good.

Could your issues be simulcast distortion secondary to the phase ll system?

No simulcast issues.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No simulcast issues.
Yeah I'm taking a closer look at that system, it says it's tdma but I'm not seeing that listed in the modes. I'm sure other people will have their input but if you're using a back of set antenna, I see now what antenna you're using, that vertical antenna mounted on the roof is going to really do the job. I would think. Just string together 5-10 ft sections of pole.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh wait I do see what antenna you are using now and I think it would still be an improvement oh, I think you're on the right track.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Chain link top rail sections (available at Lowes/Home Depot-type stores) make good, heavy-duty antenna masts. Two 10-ft sections, properly supported, would probably be adequate for your purposes.

I got that already from some fence work I did, have been pondering use that as well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A couple of things I'll point out...

DPD antennas are overpriced.
Wilson antennas are overpriced with the added bonus of being junk.

24 miles shouldn't be an issue if you get the antenna up high enough. I'd start with mounting it on the roof of your home. The antenna needs to see over the surrounding obstructions, and it needs to have a clear view of the radio site. 800MHz is line of sight, so if your antenna cannot see their antenna, it's not going to work well.
You shouldn't need a lot of gain to do what you want to do. There are some good name brand antennas that are cheaper than the link you posted for the Wilson antenna.
If you shop around, you can often find some really nice high end Yagi antennas on e-Bay.

As for the coaxial cable,
When you get higher in frequency, the losses go up. RG-8x would work, but you'll lose a lot of signal just in the cable.
30 feet of RG-8x at 850MHz will result in about 60% of the signal being lost just in the cable.
30 feet of LMR-400 at 850MHz will only lose about 23%.
If you have RG-8x, it might work fine if you get a good antenna and get it up above roof line. But you'll get better performance from the LMR-400.
Heck, even RG-6 cable TV type coax will outperform the RG-8x...

Status
Not open for further replies.