• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for KVL5000

hperrenot

Premium Subscriber
My agency currently is on the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) trunked system and are wanting to encrypt our channels.
Speaking to LCRA, they say we need a KVL5000 to do this but am having trouble finding one online. Does anyone know where I can find one or happen to have one they’re willing to part ways with at a reasonable price?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
My agency currently is on the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) trunked system and are wanting to encrypt our channels.
Speaking to LCRA, they say we need a KVL5000 to do this but am having trouble finding one online. Does anyone know where I can find one or happen to have one they’re willing to part ways with at a reasonable price?

If you have to have a KVL5000, call Motorola. That way you can get exactly what you need, with warranty and support.

Seriously, the KVL5000 is pretty new, like only a couple of years old; finding one on the used market would be difficult at best. In addition, whatever you get used may not have the features and encryption flavors you need, and you would end up spending beaucoup bucks getting feature upgrades from Motorola; any savings from buying used would be lost in paying for upgrades.

Your best bet for finding a used KVL would be a KVL4000, and even then I'm not sure I'd hold my breath.

Unless they're using link layer authentication, I'm not sure why LCRA specified a KVL5000 as pretty much any recent keyloader would work for key loading, even the KFDShield – OCS Store.

You could also try using ARC4 encryption (Harris calls this "encryption lite," Motorola calls it "ADP"). It's not super robust but it would accomplish the purpose of encrypting your signals; no keyloader needed, you just put the encryption key in the codeplug.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
10 second google search....

And the old saw about the number in the model number of Motorola hardware reflecting the price is true in this case (as in so many others). My price under state term contract was around $5000.

Something else to watch out for if you're using Harris radios and are required to use Link Layer Authentication is that the KVL5000 currently will not load LLA keys into Harris radios. The KVL4000 worked fine, but for some goofy reason Motorola changed the firmware in the KVL5000 and it won't work; so, instead of fixing what they broke in the relative handful of KVL5000 keyloaders, they're making Harris fix the firmware in the many thousands of Harris radios out there.

The nine-million pound gorilla known as Motorola strikes again. I have a whole litany of complaints about them, but won't get into it here.....

FiremanSparky

And the old saw about the number in the model number of Motorola hardware reflecting the price is true in this case (as in so many others). My price under state term contract was around $5000.

Something else to watch out for if you're using Harris radios and are required to use Link Layer Authentication is that the KVL5000 currently will not load LLA keys into Harris radios. The KVL4000 worked fine, but for some goofy reason Motorola changed the firmware in the KVL5000 and it won't work; so, instead of fixing what they broke in the relative handful of KVL5000 keyloaders, they're making Harris fix the firmware in the many thousands of Harris radios out there.

The nine-million pound gorilla known as Motorola strikes again. I have a whole litany of complaints about them, but won't get into it here.....

......Plus, you would need multiple posts to even scratch the surface.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber

Yeah, $6700 for me with AES, ADP and DES with 5 year essential service. Only thing ot note with the KFDShield, make sure the radio authority does not have a specific requirement. My state will only transfer common state keys from KVL to KVL.

CanesFan95

So how come you need these keyloaders to enter encryption keys into a radio? Isn't an encryption key nothing more than a long string of plain text characters?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
It’s just so Motorola can charge more money and for absolutely no other reason at all.
That's unfortunate. We have some manufacturers in my field that are doing things like that too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So how come you need these keyloaders to enter encryption keys into a radio? Isn't an encryption key nothing more than a long string of plain text characters?

Slightly easier than hauling a laptop around, essentially. I have software on my laptop that will load keys in to the various radios we use.

Nice thing is that a KVL type device will usually work with many radio brands, not just one. I have an adapter cable that will go between a Motorola KVL-5K and my Harris radios...

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I have been told that if you only need to load encryption keys and not do P25 authentication- you can use a KVL3000 several of those around

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Interesting info..thank you
Guess I need to look at the 3000plus
I have never used.