Looking for Milair- Trip to Oak Island, NC

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I apologize if you see this in multiple forums, as I have crossposted my question a few other areas.

I am anxiously awaiting a vacation to the Oak Island, NC area. I am planning to take my SDS100 and BC125AT with me. I’ve located some frequencies logs, but some are several years old. Any pointers on what frequencies to listen for?

Ideas so far-
*MCAS Cherry Point
*Camp LeJeune
*Joint Base Charleston
*GIANT KILLER VACAPES
*Local AR routes
*Ft. Bragg
*Usual Itinerant and NEADS listening.

Anything I’m missing? Anyone have a good list going for this area already?

Thanks in advance!

Tobydog

Stick to aircraft frequencies, most bases are in process of encrypting the UHF system so may be limited traffic. Since a lot of airlines fly out over ocean and train in the area almost daily traffic could be interesting. Cherry Point has already gone encrypted and Lejeune is in progress. Joint Base Charleston also starting the process. Recommend just bypassing any UHF military frequencies and listen to ATC and local services on 800 system Brunswick county which is where Oak Island is uses the NC VIPER system for all services in county. Marine channels are busy in the area also due to shipping traffic in Cape Fear River. Good luck

Chris0516

Stick to aircraft frequencies, most bases are in process of encrypting the UHF system so may be limited traffic. Since a lot of airlines fly out over ocean and train in the area almost daily traffic could be interesting. Cherry Point has already gone encrypted and Lejeune is in progress. Joint Base Charleston also starting the process. Recommend just bypassing any UHF military frequencies and listen to ATC and local services on 800 system Brunswick county which is where Oak Island is uses the NC VIPER system for all services in county. Marine channels are busy in the area also due to shipping traffic in Cape Fear River. Good luck
@dispatchgeek I agree with the above 100%

Tobydog

Dare County Bomb range is in the AM spectrum. Fairly distant to Dare county to Oak Island, 190 miles, so may not hear any traffic from them. Not sure what training is going on. Jacksonville ATC will have traffic from commercial flights out of Wilmington and Myrtle Beach

CommRX

349.1 and 358.8, but I doubt you'll get them that far south. Program in the AR freqs. I can't remember the track number, but there's a track along the outer banks that is fairly active.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
AR-202 starts directly over ILM heading south and is used nearly daily on multiple occasions.

AV8’s from cherry point are out daily, MCAS New River is active with V22’s

Warning Areas off the coast are used a lot as well.

Navy uses Wilmington International a lot as well, P8’s from MCAS Jacksonville (FL) and Navy C2/E2’s from Chambers (Norfolk VA.). Last year I was in Wilmington for work. Multiple days and multiple of the above mentioned came into Wilmington Int for touch and gos.