Looking for Mississauga frequencies (PRPD, Fire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy

I just picked up a Bearcat BC296D and am trying to figure out how to use it. I would like to program banks 4-6 for the OPP highway patrols (4), Peel Regional (5), and Mississauga Fire (6). So far I have programmed Peel Regional to bank 5 using the "Law Dispatch" talkgroups found here: Peel Region Trunking System, Peel, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Anything else I should monitor for Peel Regional? I have entered all the available talkgroups for Mississauga Fire into bank 6 and am seeing some activity on Ops1 and Tac3. However, I can't seem to get OPP Port Credit to work. I programmed Fleetnet according to the sticky and used the Britannia tower, but I can only pick up activity from Cambridge and Downsview on an ID SEARCH. When I scan the Port Credit talkgroup, everything is silent. Any help here? Any other OPP talkgroups from the Mississauga area?

I'd also like to program banks 7-9 for OPP's Toronto patrols (7), TPS (8), and Toronto fire (9). Could someone link me the pages for Toronto police and fire? I can't seem to find them. The relevant talkgroups to listen to on each network would also be helpful.

Thanks for the help.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a Bearcat BC296D and am trying to figure out how to use it. I would like to program banks 4-6 for the OPP highway patrols (4), Peel Regional (5), and Mississauga Fire (6). So far I have programmed Peel Regional to bank 5 using the "Law Dispatch" talkgroups found here: Peel Region Trunking System, Peel, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Anything else I should monitor for Peel Regional? I have entered all the available talkgroups for Mississauga Fire into bank 6 and am seeing some activity on Ops1 and Tac3. However, I can't seem to get OPP Port Credit to work. I programmed Fleetnet according to the sticky and used the Britannia tower, but I can only pick up activity from Cambridge and Downsview on an ID SEARCH. When I scan the Port Credit talkgroup, everything is silent. Any help here? Any other OPP talkgroups from the Mississauga area?

I'd also like to program banks 7-9 for OPP's Toronto patrols (7), TPS (8), and Toronto fire (9). Could someone link me the pages for Toronto police and fire? I can't seem to find them. The relevant talkgroups to listen to on each network would also be helpful.

Thanks for the help.

I can answer your OPP question easily I think for you. Are you seeing any activity at all on Brittania? Port Credit OPP, 5 India units are always patched with Cambridge 5 Echo units, if you put in both talkgroups you should hear both detachements. Same thing with Burlington 5 Charlie and Niagara 5 Golf and Downsview 5 foxtrot. & Whitby 5 Kilo units. Just about all the area talkgroups in the GTA region are patched.

Make sure you program all in or run your scanner in search to have these talkgroups pop up.

As for Toronto PS all the info is on the Toronto County (!) page. All the PD, Fire and EMS talkgroups are there.

Like Peel Region you only have to enter in the control channels for the system. Take note that there are 4 towers, make sure you can hear activity off the south tower and the west tower.

Enjoy your 296, I had one of those and enjoyed it!

Aurora 5 Bravo units share talkgroup 8656 with 407 ETR 5 Lima units also

Squishy

Thanks, I had the Cambridge talk group programmed in as a test, but all I was hearing was mention of streets in the Cambridge and near the KW areas. Is there a way to hear only the Port Credit activity, or does the patch mean that even the OPP radios here would pick up Cambridge (and thus the Cambridge activity is by design)?

Would I have to program in all the OPP talk groups listed for the Britannia tower, or just the two groups that are patched together? I would rather program places like Hamilton on a separate bank should I want to hear them, instead of having them all on the Mississauga bank. I hear some activity on Britannia when I do an ID SEARCH - mainly on Cambridge, Downsview, and sometimes on Aurora.

I did discover the page on Toronto while my message was in moderation. I think I had to follow a link somewhere to a "Toronto County Trunked Network" page instead of the normal Toronto County page that turns up on a search - that's what confused me at first. I think I have TPS/Fire/EMS programmed in properly now. Which talk groups should I use for Toronto area OPP?

Squishy

Sorry, I missed the part about only entering the contol channels. Is this different from the Fleetnet setup? I pretty much just followed that guide for Peel and Toronto other than choosing a different trunking system type. So if I'm understanding this correctly, I can just enter in the red and blue frequencies and the "control signal" (I guess) would give the rest of the frequencies to use?

Is it okay to enter in more than one tower per bank so that I can travel around Toronto without manually switching between the four towers?

mciupa

Is it okay to enter in more than one tower per bank so that I can travel around Toronto without manually switching between the four towers?

If you put them all in one bank , it will "park" itself on the first control channel it finds and will not move until you move it along manually.

Squishy

So it would find the nearest (or second nearest) tower and I would need to move it onto another tower when the signal starts dropping? How would I move it onto the next tower? By pressing SCAN again?

I read through the manual once more and understood a lot more than I originally had. I figured out how to set it up to only need control towers set, and I did hear some activity on the Port Credit 1OPS44 once I entered in the Cambridge talk group. Should I enter in all the GTR talk groups listed to be safe? I think I can lock them out to only hear Port Credit.

Which talk groups would be for the highway patrol between the GTA and Orillia? I'll be heading up there soon and would like to road test the scanner.

Thanks for all the help so far!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
So it would find the nearest (or second nearest) tower and I would need to move it onto another tower when the signal starts dropping? How would I move it onto the next tower? By pressing SCAN again?

I read through the manual once more and understood a lot more than I originally had. I figured out how to set it up to only need control towers set, and I did hear some activity on the Port Credit 1OPS44 once I entered in the Cambridge talk group. Should I enter in all the GTR talk groups listed to be safe? I think I can lock them out to only hear Port Credit.

Which talk groups would be for the highway patrol between the GTA and Orillia? I'll be heading up there soon and would like to road test the scanner.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Dont put towers geograhically right next to each other. Your scanner will lock on one until you lose the signal. Space out your towers i.e. dont put Toronto and Britannia in the same bank, put Brittania with Hamilton and in another bank put Toronto with Guelph.

In order to hear all the action enter in pretty much all of the talkgroups. Port Credit is always patched with Cambridge and Downsview is always patched with Whitby. Your scanner will show either of each of the two.

I think Aurora 8656 covers things down from Barrie to the Toronto border.

Squishy

Looks like I have to rethink my bank assignments then. I have the ten banks available, and would like to assign the following:
Orillia OPP
Orillia Fire
Orillia EMS
Port Credit OPP
Peel Regional Police
Mississauga Fire
Toronto OPP
Toronto Police
Toronto Fire/EMS
HWY 400 OPP (Aurora?)

I had planned on assigning each of those in order from 1 to 0 so that I could pick the different cities according to rows, and also choose to not listen to Fire or EMS by turning off that bank. Is there a better way of organising the banks? If I program, for example, Toronto OPP with Orillia Fire, wouldn't I pick up Toronto transmissions in Orillia because there's a Fleetnet tower there?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Dont put towers geograhically right next to each other. Your scanner will lock on one until you lose the signal. Space out your towers i.e. dont put Toronto and Britannia in the same bank, put Brittania with Hamilton and in another bank put Toronto with Guelph.

In order to hear all the action enter in pretty much all of the talkgroups. Port Credit is always patched with Cambridge and Downsview is always patched with Whitby. Your scanner will show either of each of the two.

I think Aurora 8656 covers things down from Barrie to the Toronto border.

It looks like you have things set out well.

When programming you can only program one trunked system in a bank but in that one trunked system you can put in several towers.

I.E. You can use Orillia Fire in the same bank as where you put a fleetnet tower

Just make sure that if you program in multiple fleetnet towers make sure that the towers are located far from each other.

Squishy

If I program in geographically distant towers in the same bank, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of organising the banks by location? (i.e., I don't need a Toronto Fleetnet tower in the bank meant for Orillia transmissions)

Would I be better off just choosing a more central tower and using that exclusively? I guess the towers have a fairly wide coverage so I might be okay throughout all of Toronto with, say, the South tower. EDIT: I think I have a solution - I can program in all the Toronto towers and lock out all but the North tower normally, and I can manually switch to other towers using the lockout settings if I need to. I've only used a scanner for a few days, so this is the best I could come up with.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
It depends on how you use your scanner.
At the time I had my scanner set up like this

Bank 0- Hamilton OPP, Durham (Grey. County) OPP Dyers Bay OPP, King City OPP
1- Hamilton Public Safety
2- Halton Burlington
3 Toronto FIRE AND EMS
4 Toronto PD
5- Mississauga OPP, London OPP, Wiarton OPP
6- ALL Fleetnet towers OPP
7- ALL Fleetnet Towers EMS
8-Toronto OPP, B-FAD, Brantford OPP
9 Conventional

If I was travelling to work, I would scan Bank 0till Oakville, switch to bank 5 and then to Bank 0.

If I was travelling up north I'd start with Bank 0 and leave it there till Guelph then switch to Bank 6 then to Bank 0 for Durham and Wiarton.

The thing to do if you travel to get the most out of your scanner if you travel is to put in fleetnet towers with enough distance between them i.e. if you live in Orillia Use a bank for Edgae tower and for Mowat (Toronto)
They are far enough apart so you shouldnt have issues

Squishy

Haha sorry for the late reply, I got caught up reading all 141 pages of the 'funny things heard' thread.

I have it mostly working now, though I get spotty reception from the Fleetnet Edgar tower from Orillia. The OPP URBAN repeater works fine, so it's not a big issue. I've had it out on three of my volunteer patrols now; makes the nights much more interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to organise the banks so that I can get all four Toronto towers in separate banks instead of manually locking out towers. I'll start a separate thread for advice on that instead of piggybacking on this one. Thanks.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Haha sorry for the late reply, I got caught up reading all 141 pages of the 'funny things heard' thread.

I have it mostly working now, though I get spotty reception from the Fleetnet Edgar tower from Orillia. The OPP URBAN repeater works fine, so it's not a big issue. I've had it out on three of my volunteer patrols now; makes the nights much more interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to organise the banks so that I can get all four Toronto towers in separate banks instead of manually locking out towers. I'll start a separate thread for advice on that instead of piggybacking on this one. Thanks.

I doubt you will find a way to get all four different towers in different banks, thats the beauty of the newer Uniden and Gre scanner, pretty much unlimited space for what you need.

The south tower is the most important one, with limited banks put all CC in one bank and use the one you need at the time.

jesse12

hi my name is jesse how do i listen to 5 india 00 port credit opp for highways 401,403,qew,410 plz help me im new at this

Status
Not open for further replies.