Looking for mobile antenna advice - selection and mounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the info. would the Larsen NR72BNMO or NMO2/70SH have the same capabilities as the NMO150 series you mentioned?

No. The Larsen NMO-150 is a VHF antenna. It will not work properly on UHF.

The NMO-2/70SH is a dual band antenna. 1/4 wave on VHF, co-linear on UHF.

NR72BNMO is not a Larsen model number.

I'm leaning to one of these with a Larsen NMO mount based on everyone's feedback. Although I like the side of the Diamond NR72BNMO you mentioned for roof mount.

If clearance is the issue, go with the Larsen NMO-2/70SH. If clearance isn't an issue, the Larsen NMO-2/70.

FY, I have a Crew Max (large rear doors). Should I still mount it in the center of the cab if I go with roof mount?

Center of the cab is ideal since it gives it equal ground plane in all directions. You can mount it off center, but you want at least 19 inches of relatively flat/horizontal ground plane in all directions if you want it to work as designed. That means you can mount it off to one side, or towards the rear, but keep it at least 19 inches from the edge of the sheet metal. The benefit with the center of the cab is that it often lines up with the interior dome light, and that makes installation usually a bit easier.
Not doing that will result in a lopsided ground plane. That will make the antenna perform with a slight directional nature.

As for making it directional, mounting to the fender near the hood will do exactly that.
Yes, it'll work, but it's a compromise. If you are willing to put the time, effort and money into doing the job right, why start off with a compromise as your first step?

Status
Not open for further replies.