• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for new motorola UHF mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikem001

I have a cdm1250 uhf 450-512 and I'm using the 460 MHz range and its already narrow banded at 12.5 kHz but will need to drop it to 6.25 kHz in the near future and the cdm1250 isn't capable of this as far as I know of.
Narrowbanding - The RadioReference Wiki

My question is there a way the cdm1250 be narrow banded to 6.25 kHz and if not what is a similar Motorola mobile to the cdm series that can be narrow banded to 6.25 kHz.
(and yes I specifically want Motorola even though they are a little pricey)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, there isn't. Analog FM at 12.5KHz is where the accessible technology pretty much stops. Running 6.25KHz bandwidth is done using digital emissions. There are several different versions of emissions that run in 6.25KHz or "6.25KHz equivalent", and you need to know exactly which one you need. You can't modify an analog radio to legally do 6.25.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
To built on mmckenna's excellent post, you have to know what kind of digital system before you can acquire hardware. I have had to say this to a number of participants here and on other forums recently: You have to get the proper information about the new system from a knowledgeable source that is LOCAL to you. While there is a lot of very helpful information to be had on forums like this, you must understand that none of us can know what kind of systems are installed in each area all over the country. You have to get LOCAL information from a local to you source.

Once you know for sure exactly what kind of system is going to replace your current analog convention UHF one, then and only then can you start to shop for a radio.

SCPD

QRT
The way I read the OP, he thinks that the FCC is going to want FM to drop to 6.25 in the near future, not that he's looking to go digital.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The way I read the OP, he thinks that the FCC is going to want FM comms to drop to 6.25 in the near future, not that he's looking to go digital.

The FCC has talked about going to 6.25KHz channels as the "next" step, but nothing has been decided, and no dates have been set. Since there are still licenses that haven't gone to 12.5 yet, it's likely a long ways off. I'd bet it would be well into the 2020 time frame before they even get close to thinking about doing it. There was a lot of money spent on narrow banding, and licensees won't like to have to do it again so soon.

Anyway, like I said, you can't run useable analog FM voice on 6.25KHz channels, it will have to be digital. This is why things like 6.25KHz NXDN, "6.25 equivalent DMR" as well as TDMA P25 phase 2 are out there.

No reason to be concerned about this yet, it's still a ways off. If the OP is on a system that will be going to digital soon, he's going to need a new radio.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The way I read the OP, he thinks that the FCC is going to want FM to drop to 6.25 in the near future, not that he's looking to go digital.

He is probably going by the statement below quoted from the Wiki page link he posted:

While 12.5 kHz channel spacing is widely mentioned in communications media, there is usually no corresponding mention of the difference in channel spacing between VHF and UHF, which leads to the erroneous assumption that 12.5 kHz will be the standard channel spacing across the board. In truth, 12.5 kHz channel spacing (and eventually 6.25 kHz) only affects UHF between 420 and 512 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.