Looking for new Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

w3hog

Premium Subscriber
Hello all! UPS lost my GRE scanner that I had shipped to Whistler for the upgrade and reprogram.
I am now in the market for a comparable digital trunking scanner. I know this is a loaded question but I need recommendations. Thank you in advance,
Dan

W8WCA

A lot depends on your area: If you have Simulcast the best way to go are the Uniden SDS100 or SDS200
If not it is a bit more open as to what scanner.

It would help if you mention your interests and area you live in Arizona

dmchalmers

What mistakes are you referring to?
tons of low band mdnr freqs, state parks freqs that are county fd's , I-500 snowmobile race ID's in Summer months, local roads comms identified as marine comms list goes on an on here in northern mich. If your not computer savy your screwed with this data base. sentinel is not worth it for a beginner at all.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
tons of low band mdnr freqs, state parks freqs that are county fd's , I-500 snowmobile race ID's in Summer months, local roads comms identified as marine comms list goes on an on here in northern mich. If your not computer savy your screwed with this data base. sentinel is not worth it for a beginner at all.
Sentinel’s source is the RR database. Have you cross checked it here?

dmchalmers

What mistakes are you referring to?
reported these mistakes numerous times an administration has told me I'M WRONG , been a scanner user for 40+ yrs in my area of northern Mi but feel Administration is like Fed govt knows everything.

belvdr

reported these mistakes numerous times an administration has told me I'M WRONG , been a scanner user for 40+ yrs in my area of northern Mi but feel Administration is like Fed govt knows everything.
Sorry to hear that. That said, the issue isn’t Sentinel, but the source of the data.

fredva

Feed Provider
You shouldn't denounce a piece of software because you believe the database is wrong. As far as I know, all scanner software that has a nationwide database uses the same RadioReference database - complete with what you say are mistakes. EZScan software that comes with Whistler scanners would download the same info, for example. And the database is built with submissions by people who are in or have been in the local area.

w3hog

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the responses, I am in a suburb of Phoenix, about 30 minutes Northeast, called Fountain Hills. I listen mostly to Police and Fire,( being retired Philly Police, I still enjoy the radio talk.) I dabble in air traffic communications.
Sounds like the SDS 100 or 200 is what I should set my eyes toward.
Oh yeah, also a ham radio dude.. W3HOG.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Agreed on ProScan - but you still need to use Sentinel (To get Database updates)

When you "program" using ProScan is it using the master database from the SDS memory card, or does it access data directly from RR and download it into ProScan then ProScan uploads it to the scanner.

belvdr

When you "program" using ProScan is it using the master database from the SDS memory card, or does it access data directly from RR and download it into ProScan then ProScan uploads it to the scanner.
It uses the database from Sentinel, just like Sentinel does.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It uses the database from Sentinel, just like Sentinel does.

Thanks! It's been so long since I had to program I couldn't remember. The data seldom changes in Macomb County, Michigan. I also use ARC-XT for my BCD996P2 & BCD325P2. I know I could also use ProScan but old habits are hard to break. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.