Looking For New SDS200...Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhawk27

Premium Subscriber
I ordered one from BCW yesterday but haven't received anything about it being shipped yet

For what it’s worth, I ordered my SDS200 from BearcatWarehouse on March 13th. I got an e-mail on March 17th stating:

“We have great news! We have started receiving our shipments of SDS200’s and SDS100’s, we will start shipping orders tomorrow first in first out. Programmed orders, and orders with upgrade keys will take longer to process. If you are receiving this email we will have enough inventory for your order. We will forward you an invoice with tracking as soon as your order ships. We would like to thank you in advance for your patience!”

I did add upgrades, so I’m waiting patiently.

MStep

For what it’s worth, I ordered my SDS200 from BearcatWarehouse on March 13th. I got an e-mail on March 17th stating:

“We have great news! We have started receiving our shipments of SDS200’s and SDS100’s, we will start shipping orders tomorrow first in first out. Programmed orders, and orders with upgrade keys will take longer to process. If you are receiving this email we will have enough inventory for your order. We will forward you an invoice with tracking as soon as your order ships. We would like to thank you in advance for your patience!”

I did add upgrades, so I’m waiting patiently.

Keep us posted. For others who are ordering (or pre-ordering) radios from any source, my recommendation is to hold off on any of the upgrades until you have your radio in hand and have tested it for several days. You can then order your upgrades (meaning stuff like DMR, etc) directly from the Uniden site for just $60 per upgrade. Very easy, automated process online, and you save some $$ since most dealers charge $75 USD or so per upgrade.

The main point here being that Uniden makes it nearly impossible to transfer your upgrade keys to another identical unit, so you'll want to make sure that the radio you've ordered is working to your satisfaction before buying those additional keys.

In any event, please keep us posted on when your order actually ships and best of luck with your new toy. The SDS series are really wonderful scanners. It's a shame that Uniden's manufacturing and/or distribution process, COVID notwithstanding, has apparently caused these delays in getting these units into the hands of dealers and scanner enthusiasts.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The back log of container ships sitting by the bay to unload is probably causing a bunch of this. Saw a picture a couple days ago in the news showing around 50 ships loaded full with containers. This was just one port in California. Reports state other ports along the west coast are about the same.

MStep

The back log of container ships sitting by the bay to unload is probably causing a bunch of this. Saw a picture a couple days ago in the news showing around 50 ships loaded full with containers. This was just one port in California. Reports state other ports along the west coast are about the same.

Absolutely no doubt. I would think that some Asian companies saw it coming and switched to more expensive but reliable air freight early in the game. I wonder how supplies of the SDS series are for our scanner enthusiast friends in Japan, China, and other parts of Asia? Anyone from Asia here on the forum with reports from the far-east?

Apparently, some units must trickling through to dealerships here in the states, but it would appear, at least at this time, that the back-orders are exceeding the supplies that are currently available.

trp2525

I didn't see the information posted in this thread so I figured I would post it if anyone is interested. Remtronix has factory refurbished SDS200 scanners in stock for $595.95. These scanners have been factory refurbished by Uniden and come with a 90-day Uniden factory warranty. Remtronix also includes (at no extra charge) a REM-830B Flex BNC 800MHz Antenna with your scanner purchase. That antenna typically sells separately for approximately $30 so it's like getting the SDS200 scanner for $565 when you factor in the cost of the included antenna.

I personally purchased a BCD396XT scanner in the past that had been factory refurbished by Uniden and it came with a 90-day Uniden factory warranty. I saved a significant amount of money compared to buying "brand-new" and I have never had any problems at all with that scanner which is still in active use today (9 years later). When I took the scanner out of the box it was wrapped in plastic and looked cosmetically just like a brand-new scanner other than a small "Factory Serviced" sticker on the battery compartment door. All of the usual factory accessories were also included with the refurbished scanner and all were wrapped in plastic just like the scanner.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
That is great advice, MStep. I have heard and read about some folks having problems with upgrades when returning the radio. Sounds like a mess. I already own an SDS200 so I am very familiar with all of the nuances and quirks associated with this radio. Nothing but good things to say about my unit - no hum - no fix, no display problems, vhf/uhf coverage is great, and it's a beast on my local simulcast system. I switch between a wideband Diamond discone and a directional 800mhz yagi 25 ft up on a mast at the side of the house with awesome results. Definitely a satisfied customer here.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Checking Amazon, they had one offered up by West Coast Mall for $802. Checking Remtronix, their website reads they have them in stock. I hesitate to buy refurbished not knowing what, if anything, had to be fixed or done to it. Those who bought refurbished, did they look new? I would hate to buy this as a gift only to find scratches and smudges on it and able to see that the scanner had been around the block. I guess I will have a choice to make if Scanner Master does not contact me by Wed. If I pay overnight shipping it will be here in time (next Monday) See what happens.

Carbuff

I ordered BCW sds200 on 3/18 today I sent email about my order their response was >>> We are working to ship out all of our SDS’s by the end of the week, if not sooner.

I ordered BCW sds200 on 3/18 today I sent email about my order their response was >>> We are working to ship out all of our SDS’s by the end of the week, if not sooner.
I would contact them and tell them you need the tracking number when they ship it.

That will let you know whether they are BSing you. (y) Right?

ra7850

I am wanting to buy another SDS200 as a gift, and I have checked everywhere I know to check and nobody has them in stock right now. Anybody know about an online outlet that has any in stock? Sure would appreciate it. Scanner Master said they are expecting some next week and I am on the email notification list (supposed to of had them tomorrow but that somehow got nixed) I would like to get one in time for someone's birthday if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

I just saw them listed here as in stock at 649.00.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, I lucked out. I put the word out on a local 2m net that I was looking and a ham I know contacted me and said he had one NIB, hooked up one day and too much scanner for him. Paid for about 9pm last night via PayPal and he was at the door with it at noon today. Looks pristine and hasn't even been programmed. He gave it to me for $550 - what a deal - and then I got to thinking. Had a great conversation the other day with Raj @ REMtronix about his refurbished SDS200s after I saw the recommendation here in this thread. Uniden guarantees them with a 90-day warranty and they all come factory refurbished from Uniden in Texas so he talked me into it and I pulled the trigger twice! lol See how that goes! So in 48 hrs I have a 'new' one in hand, and one on the way from Lathrop, CA. I've wanted a second one since I sold my other SDS200 before, so I hit two birds with one stone this weekend. It was a good weekend!

Thanks to all of you who replied with such good information - mucho appreciated!

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Well, I lucked out. I put the word out on a local 2m net that I was looking and a ham I know contacted me and said he had one NIB, hooked up one day and too much scanner for him. Paid for about 9pm last night via PayPal and he was at the door with it at noon today. Looks pristine and hasn't even been programmed. He gave it to me for $550 - what a deal - and then I got to thinking. Had a great conversation the other day with Raj @ REMtronix about his refurbished SDS200s after I saw the recommendation here in this thread. Uniden guarantees them with a 90-day warranty and they all come factory refurbished from Uniden in Texas so he talked me into it and I pulled the trigger twice! lol See how that goes! So in 48 hrs I have a 'new' one in hand, and one on the way from Lathrop, CA. I've wanted a second one since I sold my other SDS200 before, so I hit two birds with one stone this weekend. It was a good weekend!

Thanks to all of you who replied with such good information - mucho appreciated!
I've got one I from Remtronix I am working on installing in the wife's car. It's this weekends project to create the bracket.

Bhawk27

Premium Subscriber
Update on my SDS200 ordered from BCW on March 13th. I just received a shipping confirmation this morning. It's going UPS 2nd Day Air (label still to be printed, so no delivery date as of yet). FYI, I did order the NXDN, DMR and ProVoice upgrades (Yes, ProVoice is still used in our area). I didn't order the county programming options (I'll do that myself). Honest assessment, I'd have to say I'm satisfied with the turnaround time, all things considered.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Update on my SDS200 ordered from BCW on March 13th. I just received a shipping confirmation this morning. It's going UPS 2nd Day Air (label still to be printed, so no delivery date as of yet). FYI, I did order the NXDN, DMR and ProVoice upgrades (Yes, ProVoice is still used in our area). I didn't order the county programming options (I'll do that myself). Honest assessment, I'd have to say I'm satisfied with the turnaround time, all things considered.
It may be too late for your order, but if possible you should try to cancel the upgrades from the dealer before it ships (if it hasn't already). You can save a lot of money doing the upgrades yourself. It just takes a couple of minutes, and is very simple to do.

When I upgraded a few months ago, these were the costs directly from Uniden.... compare these to what the dealer is charging, $65 savings:

DMR = $60
NXDN = $50
ProVoice = $49.99

You can purchase them one at a time, whenever you want. They don’t have to be done at the time of purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.