Looking for opinions on scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevbentz

Looking to get a new scanner to support the digital trunking systems in the area. I previously used a Radio Shack Pro-2042 with the OS535 board interface, an old Uniden Bearcat, and an Icom. Of course, these are all older radios and cannot monitor the new systems.

I'm considering the Radio Shack Pro-197, Uniden BCD996XT, or the GRE PSR-600 and looking for opinions from those that use them.

I've read through what I can find, but I can't really find anything good or bad that makes one stand out from the other. Shopping at Scanner Master, it looks like the only one they have in stock is the PRO-197. Also wondering if these scanners are old enough that I should be waiting for the latest model to come out.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
You can't go wrong with either the radio shack or the uniden base models. I have the handheld versions of both. They all have their pros and cons so it really comes down to what you want and what your level of experience is, This is excellent software out there to program both radios so programming is not an issue. My experience has been that the radio shack radios manufactured by GRE are more sensitive than the unidens. Uniden has the longer standing reputation and there is excellent support from a real uniden representative on this board as well as many many experts in their own right for both types.

I think I saw something on the boards recently about radio shack having their scanner on sale for around $100.00 off the regular price.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Kevin: If you can post where you are and/or some specific systems, you might be able to get some better real-world opinions. Different scanners work better (or worse) on different systems.

My recommendation is to go with the Uniden BCD996XT...heck, buy 2 or 3 of them. (But my opinion is just a tad biased :) .)

kevbentz

I'm in Southeast Michigan.

I've made up my mind and am now listening to my new BCD996XT. I considered the Pro-197 but from hearing about how sensitive it is, I went with the Uniden (I always had good reception on my BC200XLT).

Thanks for the input!

SuperTex

Good choice! The 996xt is "the" unit to have right now :) I love mine and can't wait to get another... or two... UP Man has corrupted us all with equipment desire :) It really is "that good".

The GRE / RS models are good too (I have those as well) but I think you'll really enjoy the 996xt.

I live in Southeast Michigan also. I use my pro-106 and do not have the soft ware yet but eventually. I did manage to program mine by hand and it works fine for me. I live right of a Gratiot in Chesterfield,MI so I hear pretty much everything down to Eastpointe and Saint Clair Shores.As for Warren,Michigan I'm not sure I can pick them up since they use apco25 I believe. I also listen to ShelbyTwp.,Utica,Fraser,Sterling Heights,Clinton.Macomb County Sheriff and Michigan State Patrol Distric 2 South East Area. and of course the Fire departments. My wife calls my scanner my second wife. Sorry for going on. I'm just amazed at technology today. Also I can pick up Saint Clair County Michigan Sheriff and some local police stations and fire departments. Thats enough for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.