• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

looking for people to talk to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawny420

i have a uniden 980ssb i have found 1 local person to talk to how does one find more folks to talk to when they dont answer when you call out??

Premium Subscriber
If no one is on that same channel at that exact same time you "call out" .... obviously, there is no one on the other side to hear you. Hence the lack of response.

CB isn't what it used to be.

I live near two Interstates .... rarely do I hear anything. Heck, I call out from time to time, and its now not uncommon to not hear a response.

Personally I've given up on CB unless the atmospheric conditions allow it.... LSB is fun at times for me.

But now that I think about it... maybe your CB Radio/Antenna/Coax/Setup isn't ideal

Wanna tell us about your setup ?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As has been said CB is not what it used to be. I started in the mid-60s and as a twelve-year-old had plenty of friends to talk to and exchanged qsl cards with hundreds of people.

Don't know where you live but chances are there just isn't anybody on the other end. So at nighttime keep spinning the dial. If you have people who want to chat who live relatively close to you you're going to know it pretty fast by your s meter.

You simply introduce yourself and see if they'll let you in the group. Could be people that just know each other or work together or are neighbors and they will always be on one channel like 29. You get accepted or you don't.

That used to be the case around my area even just a few years back but they're all gone now too. I live in a heavy Trucking area near two interstates and a Turnpike with multiple truck stops and Channel 19 is dead as a doornail except for one psychotic that we have who just talks to himself all day long blowing whistles playing music with much profanity and psychosis. Depending on where you live it could be very active on Channel 19 with Truckers as I've heard tell of.

Welcome to RR, I see this is your first post.... Bob.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well I looked and this is his only post. I think the thread was well-represented by our replies..

Our opinions are right on the money. I would have liked to hear from him again.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I just wonder where the OP is located at.

I too installed a CB rig (President McKinley) in my truck along with my ham gear after a 30+ year gap in activity just to possibly "rejoin the old group". After several months of hearing nobody I knew (and many I would prefer not to hear again) it finally dawned on me that I was in my mid 20's back then and most of the local group where in their late 70's or older. No amp made is powerful enough to reach those guys.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well this op has only had one post and one like that I gave him and he's gone.

It was kind of odd to ask such an obvious question how to initiate conversation on CB. Especially when there was no one on the other end.

I don't think we will hear from him again any more than I hear from anyone on CB, like I said I always kept Channel 19 on my R 75 but those days are gone.

I loved CB in the 60s, 70s and a little bit of the 80s. But, we didn't have smartphones either :)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I just wonder where the OP is located at.

I too installed a CB rig (President McKinley) in my truck along with my ham gear after a 30+ year gap in activity just to possibly "rejoin the old group". After several months of hearing nobody I knew (and many I would prefer not to hear again) it finally dawned on me that I was in my mid 20's back then and most of the local group where in their late 70's or older. No amp made is powerful enough to reach those guys.
Holy Crap! Thought I was the only one that still owned a McKinley.. I've owned that little rig since High School.. Still own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.