Looking for photo of old RS antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

I was talking with someone about an old antenna that I believe was offered by RadioShack years ago. I was trying to remember what it looked like exactly. I believe it had three vertical elements of different lengths, that were side by side. I don't know if it was for scanners or a multi band ham design. Anybody happen to remember this or have a photo?

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

djeplett

Is this the one you're thinking of?

I had one. I still have the remnants. I cut it down to make a 2M 1/4 wave antenna when I got my license. It was a good performer on VHF-Lo as well as VHF-Hi and UHF.

Attachments

• 20-014.jpg
    20-014.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,089

prcguy

They sold a scanner ground plane that had three vertical elements sticking out of a common block spaced about an inch apart with a 1/4 wave UHF, VHF and a loaded VHF low band element. The three ground radials were a few feet long and were horizontal and did not droop.
prcguy

DPD1

There it is, thanks. The person I talked to thought it didn't have ground plane elements for some reason, and I wasn't sure how that could be, unless it was a dipole version. Actually, I experimented with such a thing years ago. It was a good example of how technically something could work, but still not perform well. The elements all showed a good match technically, but in real world performance, they degraded each other considerably. The difference was obvious on signals by connecting a disconnecting the other elements while listening.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

djeplett

Yeah, if it had performed exceptionally I wouln't have hacked mine up. But it was good on VHF-Hi and UHF, not stellar. Since there's not much VHF-Lo activity in my area I decided to cut it back because I wanted to use it for transmitting instead. It did very well as a 1/4 wave and it may see use again as a digipeater antenna.

prcguy said:
three vertical elements sticking out of a common block spaced about an inch apart with a 1/4 wave UHF, VHF and a loaded VHF low band element
Actually, it wasn't a block. Just a piece of metal that connected all the vertical elements together a couple inches above the base. If memory serves, they were about 2.5 inches or so apart. And they weren't exact 1/4 wave elements and there is no loading coil. The picture is a little decieving because they had to fit the picture on the page, but the ground plane elements were quite long. (Cut for VHF-Lo.)

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
djeplett said:
I had one. I still have the remnants. I cut it down to make a 2M 1/4 wave antenna when I got my license. It was a good performer on VHF-Lo as well as VHF-Hi and UHF.
you cut it up? Those things are hard to find now and the best outdoor antenna in those days. i never had the money to get one and was young and just starting out. Those things are too good to cut up.

never mind i should have read the other posts.

Eric Burris

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
DPD1 said:
There it is, thanks. The person I talked to thought it didn't have ground plane elements for some reason, and I wasn't sure how that could be, unless it was a dipole version. Actually, I experimented with such a thing years ago. It was a good example of how technically something could work, but still not perform well. The elements all showed a good match technically, but in real world performance, they degraded each other considerably. The difference was obvious on signals by connecting a disconnecting the other elements while listening.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

That's weird. i remember reading a review from Strong signals.com i think, about it being a good performer.

What about the homemade ground plane from an S0239 mount as listed in the Radio Shack book about antennas? It had a multi band model to build. i had one years ago. Not sure how it performed.

Last edited:

N1BHH

A friend had one that worked out nicely, until Hurricane Gloria came through New England and destroyed it. They weren't the best constructed and designed, but it did work. The spacing was about 2 inches for the vertical radiators.

DPD1

blueangel-eric said:
That's weird. i remember reading a review from Strong signals.com i think, about it being a good performer.

What about the homemade ground plane from an S0239 mount as listed in the Radio Shack book about antennas? It had a multi band model to build. i had one years ago. Not sure how it performed.

It probably did do fairly well compared to some other stuff, but I just remember the elements being in so close proximity to each other created issues. In fact, I was surprised I even got a good match on each element. It may have been that the pattern was being warped a little, which gave the impression of the signal going out when certain combinations of the elements were connected or disconnected. Who knows, if you twisted it, it might actually make something come in better. I never took it that far though.

Dave
www.TheNorthSpin.com
Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast

btritch

Yes, It was once good..

Yes, I had one just like that, Bought off a guy for 20 bucks...Put it up, It was working GREAT up until Last Tuesday when A tree limb went flying over during a SEVERE Tornadic T-Storm went over and threw the tree limb into it and snapped all three vertical elements off. All that's left is the ground plane, Not worth crap now.. LOL
Just remanants..It was good when it was together tho. Fixing to get a new one but I want one with great coverage...40-50 miles or so...Thinking about a scantana or discone...Decisions, Decisions..

Status
Not open for further replies.