Looking for portable radio to replace Uniden BC-350C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnPed

About 2 years ago, I bought a Uniden BC-350C with the intention of listening to live air traffic control. However, because I didn't have an exterior antenna, I wasn't able to pickup anything. My scanner has been sitting there on my desk unused with plenty of dust collecting.

I'm looking to buy a portable scanner/radio to use when I go planespotting with my friend at LAX. I'm thinking of the Sporty's SP-400, considering I'm a private pilot and having a backup radio sounds useful to have. Of course, I'll be very careful not to hit the transmit button whenever I'm out spotting under runway 24R. It is a bit expensive though and more than I'd like to spend; I'm not instrument rated yet so the fancy glideslope receiver that radio has is unnecessary. Is there perhaps a cheaper radio out there that's recommended to purchase with just COM functionality, possibly? Or if I was looking to be able to listen to ATC comms as cheap as possible, should I be looking at a portable scanner? Any recommendations for portable scanners/radios?

Lastly, this BC-350C is useless and I'm thinking of donating it to my flight school/rental place, assuming I can't get more than $50 out of selling it. Someone give me a ballpark estimate on how much I can sell it for? It's practically brand new.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
New Uniden model

About 2 years ago, I bought a Uniden BC-350C with the intention of listening to live air traffic control. However, because I didn't have an exterior antenna, I wasn't able to pickup anything. My scanner has been sitting there on my desk unused with plenty of dust collecting.

I'm looking to buy a portable scanner/radio to use when I go planespotting with my friend at LAX. I'm thinking of the Sporty's SP-400, considering I'm a private pilot and having a backup radio sounds useful to have. Of course, I'll be very careful not to hit the transmit button whenever I'm out spotting under runway 24R. It is a bit expensive though and more than I'd like to spend; I'm not instrument rated yet so the fancy glideslope receiver that radio has is unnecessary. Is there perhaps a cheaper radio out there that's recommended to purchase with just COM functionality, possibly? Or if I was looking to be able to listen to ATC comms as cheap as possible, should I be looking at a portable scanner? Any recommendations for portable scanners/radios?

Lastly, this BC-350C is useless and I'm thinking of donating it to my flight school/rental place, assuming I can't get more than $50 out of selling it. Someone give me a ballpark estimate on how much I can sell it for? It's practically brand new.

There's a new Uniden scanner mostly for Airband called the BC125AT just read the post release thread on it. Might fit what you're looking for?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
We have used the Icom IC-a24's at work with good results. The price is a bit better than the sport's radio, too.

Jeff.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
...I'm thinking of donating it to my flight school/rental place, assuming I can't get more than $50 out of selling it. Someone give me a ballpark estimate on how much I can sell it for? It's practically brand new.

They are not a bad radio - they go for $40-60 on eBay. Air band, on the ground, definitely needs an outside antenna though.

Status
Not open for further replies.