Looking for radio mounting ideas for car

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjz55

Looking to mount my 2meter in the car, however I want to be able to take it out whenever I want it in my house or along side of car. It will be in a console with the radio in the vertical position. I was wondering if there are any type of a 4 sided tray with the back closed that I could just insert the radio in and when ready I pull out and disconnect the antenna and power cord. I'm open for any ideas.

EMT911

I would agree with the "use a handheld" advice, unless you are in an area with weak signals and/or distant repeaters (which also = weak signals). Years ago, there was a metal two-part slider mount for CB radios with power and antenna contacts. We tried one on 2 meters in the radio shop and the SWR was horrible because of the crappy contacts. So, I do not recommend those for 2 meter mobile radios at all. You could simply "drop" the radio in, with a quick disconnect AMP connector for power and unscrew the PL-259 antenna connector. I would also recommend an external speaker because the audio out of the cabinet speaker will be severely muffled by the tight confines of the console compartment. Frankly, an external speaker will do a lot of handheld radios a world of good too. if you could tell us more we may have better suggestions for you.

n1cyn

Premium Subscriber
Mounting options

I would be concerned about overheating in a tight space like that. I have a small car. HT is the way to go.

Joe

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I would be concerned about overheating in a tight space like that. I have a small car. HT is the way to go.

Joe

I agree, as most mobile radios put out 45-75 watts high power output, and have heatsinks on the back, and require ventilation to keep the unit cool, or you will burn your radio up. This is why I say a HT will work best for you. If your HT has a SMA connector, I recommend a SMA to BNC connecter, as to not wear out the threads on your radio taking it from car to wherever you take it and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.