Looking for recommendation on handheld unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiseomatic

Looking at either the WS1065 or its handheld version the WS1040. As far as I can tell, Both are identical in function and features but one is portable. Looking to monitor precinct 8 and 3, county SO, and Pasadena PD in Harris county and El Paso PD and SO in El Paso county. From what I can tell, These will do what I looking for. But are they both identical or does one do something the other doesn't? Also, With either one, Is there anything I should get with them like antennas or accessories?
Thanks.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
If you want to listen to Pasadena PD, then you will need to look at a scanner that can handle Phase 2 according to the database. It looks like they are on the TxWARN system and looking under the Mode column indicates that they use TDMA (Phase 2). If you can live without Pasadena PD, then either of those scanners might work out. The database is not always up-to-date with the latest information.

El Paso County Sheriff appears to be encrypted on El Paso Regional Communications System and cannot be monitored.

You will want to read about simulcast distortion since it looks like both systems have simulcast sites.

N8IAA

Looking at either the WS1065 or its handheld version the WS1040. As far as I can tell, Both are identical in function and features but one is portable. Looking to monitor precinct 8 and 3, county SO, and Pasadena PD in Harris county and El Paso PD and SO in El Paso county. From what I can tell, These will do what I looking for. But are they both identical or does one do something the other doesn't? Also, With either one, Is there anything I should get with them like antennas or accessories?
Thanks.

How are you planning to monitor from, either east TX, and/or all the way across to west TX? Especially on a trunk system?
Just to echo what the others have posted, neither the 1040 or the 1065 do Phase II decoding. You would be looking to get any of the new SD card scanners from either Whistler or Uniden. Another option is the Uniden 325P2.

Larry

Cruiseomatic

I read it wrong. I thought they could do P25 TDMA. Looking at the other units, Makes it hard to decide on one really. Wasn't wanting to spend more than $300 or so on something to just listen on, Lol. Checking the 325P2 out right now. As for the other thing, I visit back home (El Paso) periodically and would like to listen when I'm there. I know it is impossible to listen to them from east TX. But in all honesty, Not finding what I'm really looking for. We had way more "options" when it came to analog radios. What I'm looking for is something to monitor both locations, semi-rugged, easy to use, can listen to a broad range of frequency groups and modes, and is PC programmable with custom TGID labels. Closest I've found is the TRX-1 but I cannot spend $500 on it. Thats almost a weeks check for my broke self, Lol. I hate goverenment jobs....

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Cruiseomatic - I don't Recommend either the Whistler 1065 or 1040, they don't have a SD card for memory management and they cant use the more Advanced EZ scan Software, also the Scanners cannot be upgraded to Receive more Digital Modes like NXDN or DMR.
I do still Recommend Whistler Scanners , just NOT those models , as they don't do P25 that well and Cant do P25 Phase II.
I recommend for Handheld the 1080/1088 and for Base the 1095/1098 scanners. they will do P25 Phase I / II out of the box and they come with a SD card with the Entire UAS & Canada Database on the SD card, plus you can use EZ scan to Update the scanner. this is very important to keep the Digital P25 organized correctly and to keep updated the Systems transitioning from Analog to Digital.
the 1080/1090 scanners can be upgraded to receive DMR and be able to use the TRX version of EZ scan.
Whistler has the 1098 in Clearence on its website.
as for Accessories , I've found Earphone and charging accessory and even a GO Bag (not case) all in Dollar Stores.
However, the stock Antenna is crap , I recommend spending some money on a High Gain HAM Dual Band antenna or just get a Remtronics 800 MHz Antenna, it will outperform the stock antenna.

Cruiseomatic

For what I need and can afford, I went with N8IAA's recommendation on the Uniden 325P2. Seems like it will do everything I want or will need for now. Picked one up on Amazon for less than $300 to my door by tomorrow. We'll see how it does. Now just getting it programmed will be fun. Last time I programmed a scanner was in 2012 for the now defunct Motorola trunking system here on a PRO-164. Back then it was easy. Now it looks complicated as can be.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Now just getting it programmed will be fun. Last time I programmed a scanner was in 2012 for the now defunct Motorola trunking system here on a PRO-164. Back then it was easy. Now it looks complicated as can be.

I would spend $40 on Butel ARC XT and make your life much easier. It will download directly from the RR database and basically do the work for you.

a242789

I bought the WS1040 on Friday..I have Galveston county loaded up which is also on the TxWarn system - however I am two counties east and haven't been able to listen / verify yet. There are a bunch of antennas for that system that may be East enough to pick up something - I will play around with later today and hopefully report back something positive. As far as software, I have Butel Arc and one other(PRS, PSE or something like that). I like Butel better - better interface - but have yet to get that software to read from the radio successfully. Technically, I can always reload from the software but then I would lose hit counts and other data local to the radio.

But yes - whatever unit you buy, you will want software to program with...

Regards,
--Mickey

N8IAA

For what I need and can afford, I went with N8IAA's recommendation on the Uniden 325P2. Seems like it will do everything I want or will need for now. Picked one up on Amazon for less than $300 to my door by tomorrow. We'll see how it does. Now just getting it programmed will be fun. Last time I programmed a scanner was in 2012 for the now defunct Motorola trunking system here on a PRO-164. Back then it was easy. Now it looks complicated as can be.
FreeScan. Google it. Can't get the link to work.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.